+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Robot model ?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Rembert View Post
    While a currency or commodity based robot would be nice. I think Pascal has previously mentioned that it is more difficult (if not impossible) to build a robot on an ETF that doesn't have an underlying basket of stocks. Correct me if I'm wrong on this Pascal.

I'd like to see a robot with a low correlation to the existing robots. If correlation is very high then one might as well just increase position size in existing robots in my oppinion. GDX was a nice complement to IWM in that regard.

Here are some ETF's and their correlation coefficients relative to the existing robot ETF's.
    The closer to zero the lower the correlation.

REMX (Market Vectors Rare Earth/Strategic Metals)
    0.57 IWM
    0.40 GDX
    0.48 Average

TAN (Guggenheim Global Solar Energy)
    0.43 IWM
    0.10 GDX
    0.26 Average

XLE (Select Sector SPDR Fund - Energy Select Sector)
    0.67 IWM
    0.54 GDX
    0.60 Average

So based on these numbers I'd like to see a TAN robot.

The correlation info comes from : http://www.etfscreen.com/corrsym.php?s=TAN
    You can change the ETF ticker in the url to see the correcation numbers relative to that ETF.
    Yo are entirely right. I need to work on the underlying and see if the EV patterns can help us get an edge. So for example, I would not know how to work on a VXX or treasuries model. I'd need to start from scratch.

Also for TAN, how many people in our group are really trading TAN?
    GDX/IWM are traded by many and have a low correlation.

Pascal

>>Also for TAN, how many people in our group are really trading TAN?<<

Probably not many. I've never traded TAN myself. But I would start doing so if there'd be a profitable robot for it. I'm also not saying it should be TAN, but my preference if there is to be a new robot is for something that has a low correlation to the existing ETF's. I think it will be difficult to find an ETF that is currently traded by many members and has low correlation to IWM/GDX.

After all, diversification of low correlated but individually profitable systems is the only free lunch there is on wallstreet.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Yo are entirely right. I need to work on the underlying and see if the EV patterns can help us get an edge. So for example, I would not know how to work on a VXX or treasuries model. I'd need to start from scratch.
    OK, sorry for not understanding this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Also for TAN, how many people in our group are really trading TAN?
    GDX/IWM are traded by many and have a low correlation.

Pascal
    Then in an ideal world I would like not correlated, with liquid 2x / 3x ETFs, popular. I would also care where a stop loss is going to be, not too wide.

+ Reply to Thread