Quote Originally Posted by mscott View Post
My definition of volatility is to measure the 14-day average true range measured as a percent of index close prices. When a bear market bottoms this measure is usually quite high and begins a long-term decline that lasts for the entire bull market run, including interim market corrections. The ATR% makes lower lows and lower highs or just bumps along the bottom. When ATR% begins to stair-step upward making higer lows and higher highs the bull market is nearing an end state. This condition began last December and I have been believing that a major market top was building. Volatility of another sort has been obvious.
Mike,

I follow ATR(14) with Stockcharts on the market(s) that I follow. Stockcharts does not provide historical data for this indicator. I find your idea of ATR(14) / Market index quite fascinating. I never though of that but it sure makes sense when you think of it...!

-1- I wonder if you have a chart of this indicator as it stands now so that I can follow you analysis more easily.
-2- Are you or other readers aware of a free source of data for ATR(14) for any market index of our choice?

Yours is a great idea...!