Thread: Model discussion

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by TraderD View Post
    (2) Make the threshold choice such that performance isn't overly sensitive to slight changes of threshold value

The problem with OS threshold misses is that they inevitably lead to a large loss in the form of a string of mis-directed trades (repeated attempts to re-short an uptrend instead of being in buy mode). Only testing can check whether requirement #2 above holds with a choice of -70.
    Trader D
    No indicator is perfect, of course and as traders we have the luxury of being able to put any indicator in the current market dynamics context which many model have difficulty doing. That is why many modern models (especially risk models) have volatility regime adjustments to calibrate factor volatilities to current market levels. But that is a very difficult thing to do if only because risk is non linear. Others use nonstationary stochastic processes (ARCH & GARCH models) in order to deal with the fact that model coefficient do change over time. However, RSI for example has the advantage of being between 0% and 100% and thus if this would reflect the distribution ( normal or otherwise) of historical value (OB/OS) it would be a major improvement over the absolute indicators currently available or the current arbitrary OB/OS hard coded numbers (i.e.: 70) currently being used by Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by TraderD View Post
    My gut feeling is that this could be a problem without use of a more relaxed direction determinant, possibly involving another independent indicator.
    Trader D
    I believe we are in agreement on the need for another independent indicator.
    Last edited by Pierre Brodeur; 02-06-2012 at 11:01 PM.