Thread: 11/7/11 Close

Threaded View

New CANSLIM Market Timing

Hi Mike

Keep your CANSLIM posts coming, they are very valuable.

I have been following VIT’s Pascal, Bob & Billy posts for two years, the Robots (IWM & GDX) and Billy’s robot posts since May, IBD The Big Picture all of 2011 and your CANSLIM posts since the new VIT web site. A lot off complementing ideas and approaches. Very enlightening!

Since your post, following your Vegas seminar, I have tried to understand this new market timing approach. I put together an excel spreadsheet to combine this new market timing approach with other approaches to get a combined picture. A copy is attached.

October has been a very interesting month for market timing as shown when you put all this together.

Regarding your new approach it raises a number of questions:

1. The IBD Market Pulse Distribution Days and yours don’t match, why? IBDs are in red, yours are in black and when both matched they are in blue. I am still struggling with the definition of a DD, can you please explain? Could you please define what make an IBD DD?
    2. I am also wrestling with FTD. Could you please provide your definition? Here is the IBD definition: Follow-Through Day Concept
    System developed by William J. O'Neil to identify an important change in general market direction from a definite downtrend to a new uptrend. From the beginning of any attempted rally during a definite downtrend, a 'follow-through' day is identified when the index closes up 1.7% or more for the day on a significant increase in volume from the day before. The first two or three days of a rally are normally disregarded as it has not yet proven it will succeed and 'follow-through' with power and conviction. 'Follow-through' days therefore generally occur the fourth through seventh day of the attempted rally. They serve as a confirmation that the market has really changed direction and is in a new uptrend.
    3. On October 18, you have indicated a “Force 5”, what is a Force 5?

I have gone through your course material, the “ How to make Money in Stocks” book and search the IBD site for Distribution Day with little results. Yet, these concepts are the foundation of the IBD Market Timing.

Looking forward to your comments,

Normand
    Attached Files