+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NASDAQ Volume Data

NASDAQ Volume Data

Investors who follow Investors Business Daily CANSLIM techniques need to know NASDAQ volume compared to the volume of the day before to find out if we have a distribution day or a follow-through day. IBD, investors.com, and MarketSmith obtain final volume long after the close directly from the nasdaq.com site. Until they crank in the final volume a couple of hours after the market close, you won't know for sure where you are. Trying to use alternate sources is problematic as everyone lists slightly different volume. I have been tracking the IBD after-the-close adjustments and find them too erratic to predict. I have found where nasdaq.com lists NASDAQ volume at this URL: http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/DailyMark...market_summary

This should be the gold standard for NASDAQ volume. Volume is indicated in the table and labeled "Total Share Volume". This source appears to be operating in near real time (you have to refresh your browser). The end-of-day volume should be the same as what appears in IBD sources.
    Mike Scott
    Cloverdale, CA

Volume

Mike, I don't think NASDAQ Global volume is the same as NASDAQ Composite. IBDs numbers are correct, they're using TAPE C, which is composite of all main US exchanges. Remember NASDAQ stocks can trade on other exchanges.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Investors who follow Investors Business Daily CANSLIM techniques need to know NASDAQ volume compared to the volume of the day before to find out if we have a distribution day or a follow-through day. IBD, investors.com, and MarketSmith obtain final volume long after the close directly from the nasdaq.com site. Until they crank in the final volume a couple of hours after the market close, you won't know for sure where you are. Trying to use alternate sources is problematic as everyone lists slightly different volume. I have been tracking the IBD after-the-close adjustments and find them too erratic to predict. I have found where nasdaq.com lists NASDAQ volume at this URL: http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/DailyMark...market_summary

This should be the gold standard for NASDAQ volume. Volume is indicated in the table and labeled "Total Share Volume". This source appears to be operating in near real time (you have to refresh your browser). The end-of-day volume should be the same as what appears in IBD sources.

Quote Originally Posted by f35c View Post
    Mike, I don't think NASDAQ Global volume is the same as NASDAQ Composite. IBDs numbers are correct, they're using TAPE C, which is composite of all main US exchanges. Remember NASDAQ stocks can trade on other exchanges.
    How do you know they are using tape C? If you look at the Nasdaq site I put in the article, you will find that MarketSmith and IBD will show that volume eventually. I don't suggest that I know what they are doing, just that they correct the NASDAQ chart to show "Total Share Volume" from the nasdaq.com Global Market Summary before the next trading day.
    Mike Scott
    Cloverdale, CA

Volume Definitions

How do you know they are using tape C? If you look at the Nasdaq site I put in the article, you will find that MarketSmith and IBD will show that volume eventually. I don't suggest that I know what they are doing, just that they correct the NASDAQ chart to show "Total Share Volume" from the nasdaq.com Global Market Summary before the next trading day.
    Mike you're right IBD's correcting the volume to the figure you've found on the NASDAQ site. After looking again, this does not match the correct number for the NASDAQ Composite (Tape C), perhaps a change since moving to a new data source for the NASDAQ Composite chart on investors.com. The figure displayed on the nasdaq.com link you gave is TAPE A+B+C, which is not the volume for the NASDAQ Composite.

It's confusing because NASDAQ actually facilitates trades in NYSE listed stocks (TAPE A) and old AMEX stocks + ETFs (TAPE B) plus NASDAQ listed stocks (TAPE C). When the NASDAQ boasts of it's volume it's actually talking about how many TAPE A,B,C trades take place either on it's exchanges or facilitated by it's Trade Reporting Facility TRF. This is NOT the NASDAQ composite volume, which is the volume of NASDAQ listed stocks on all venues / TRFs -including NASDAQ's, which is only TAPE C.

Check out this link for more answers, and perhaps PM me if you have any interest to know more.
    http://www.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2....html#nysevolA

Mike you're right IBD's correcting the volume to the figure you've found on the NASDAQ site. After looking again, this does not match the correct number for the NASDAQ Composite (Tape C), perhaps a change since moving to a new data source for the NASDAQ Composite chart on investors.com. The figure displayed on the nasdaq.com link you gave is TAPE A+B+C, which is not the volume for the NASDAQ Composite.

It's confusing because NASDAQ actually facilitates trades in NYSE listed stocks (TAPE A) and old AMEX stocks + ETFs (TAPE B) plus NASDAQ listed stocks (TAPE C). When the NASDAQ boasts of it's volume it's actually talking about how many TAPE A,B,C trades take place either on it's exchanges or facilitated by it's Trade Reporting Facility TRF. This is NOT the NASDAQ composite volume, which is the volume of NASDAQ listed stocks on all venues / TRFs -including NASDAQ's, which is only TAPE C.

Check out this link for more answers, and perhaps PM me if you have any interest to know more.
    http://www.wsj.com/mdc/public/page/2....html#nysevolA

Thanks for helping me understand this. I brought the volume anomalies to IBD's attention, they are now evaluating a change to Tape C NASDAQ volume for the NASDAQ composite chart.
    Mike Scott
    Cloverdale, CA

Market Volume

Thanks for helping me understand this. I brought the volume anomalies to IBD's attention, they are now evaluating a change to Tape C NASDAQ volume for the NASDAQ composite chart.
    Mike, another site that's updated during the day, and clearly shows Tape C:
    https://batstrading.com/market_summary/

The volume aligns with figures in the WSJ.com market data section.

Mike, another site that's updated during the day, and clearly shows Tape C:
    https://batstrading.com/market_summary/

The volume aligns with figures in the WSJ.com market data section.
    Thank you f35c, I have been looking at the BATS site. The Philadelphia exchange also has Tape C volume.
    The BATS site also has historical volume: http://batstrading.com/market_data/m...olume_history/
    Mike Scott
    Cloverdale, CA

+ Reply to Thread