Results for Tu, Apr 8, 2014

Name:  EOD Apr 8, 2014.png
Views: 336
Size:  25.2 KB

Shawn

LEV Leader Principles

Quote Originally Posted by csayantan View Post
    hi

What is the basic idea behind LEV Ladder?
    How you are taking trade decision using it?

thx
    CS
    Hi-

The basic principle is that consistent buying of a name by institutions (as represented by LEV) over a 20d look back period is indicative of future returns. If you look at the real time LEV chart for a the stock BBD for a 20d period, you will see the green line (LEV) forms a pretty linear line from lower left to upper right.

The 2400 names are scanned each night to pull out the names that exhibit this characteristic.. Tonight, only 52 names of the 2400 met this criteria.. which is relatively few.. usually there are closer to 100 names that make it through this scan.

Next, the 52 names will be ranked by 3 month RS to find the fastest movers .. Marketsmith does not update their database until late, so I look at this the next morning.. The top 4 names are selected from this ranked ordered list with a minimum cut-off of RS >= 95; so, occasionally, there are fewer than 4 names that meet that RS = 95 or greater criteria.

These are each day's LEV Leaders, and this list is maintained for a rolling 5d period to capture overnight gains, etc.

I hope that helps,

Shawn

PS: let me know if you have further Q's.

LEV Leader Performance - Wed, Apr 10, 2014

Hi-

Name:  EOD Apr 9, 2014.png
Views: 251
Size:  25.1 KB

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_molodow View Post
    ... Next, the 52 names will be ranked by 3 month RS to find the fastest movers .. Marketsmith does not update their database until late, so I look at this the next morning.
    Hi Shawn,

Isn't the RS calculation simply a performance metric vs. S&P500? Couldn't this step be automated to help omit the reliance of MarketSmith?

Harry

IBD/MS's RS calculation

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Hi Shawn,

Isn't the RS calculation simply a performance metric vs. S&P500? Couldn't this step be automated to help omit the reliance of MarketSmith?

Harry
    Hi Harry,

You are in general correct, but I believe the IBD RS calculation is slightly different in that it weighs recent weeks more heavily in the RS calculation than the other weeks. This probably does not significantly affect results.

I could further automate things as you suggest, but using MS is fast/easy for this part of the process; is well recognized/trusted in the community (so, results can be compared easily); and MS provides fast/easy access to other data/information that I like to consider in my trading, e.g. avg daily $ traded, quick access to industry groups for names that are unknown to me, etc.

I hope all is well with you,

Shawn

LEV Leader Performance - Th, Apr 11, 2014

Hi-

Name:  EOD Apr 10, 2014.png
Views: 256
Size:  24.8 KB

Shawn

+ Reply to Thread