Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Does anyone know the methodology behind why IBD does not track or at least report the "open" on investors.com? Is it considered meaningless as all securities don't start trading at the same time? Billy once reminded me of this.

Just curious as to the why?
Bill O'Neil began trading before there were charting services. He used to hand draw his own weekly charts. Daily opening prices have no meaning in this context and perhaps weekly open prices don't convey much information either. Bill pays most of his attention to weekly charts still today. Historically when charting services began HLC was a standard. OHLC later became popular.

Opening prices may mean something to a day trader but less to a longer term trader. There are some Candlestick patterns that imply trend changes so once in a while I will open up another charting service to look for these but quite seldom actually.

When you have been trading successfully for more than 50 years without ever looking at open prices I guess it boils down to why would you make your life more complex with additional clutter.