+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1-16-2013 Comments

MarketWatch article interviewing Amy Smith (CANSLIM expert)

I don't know if she is an expert or not but here's the link:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wha...now-2013-02-06

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Hi Mike,

When you get a free moment, curious if you would update us on your thoughts regarding gold and the recent Coppock signal?

Best Regards,
    Harry
    The last real monthly Coppock signal on GLD was in mid 2001. We are making a close pass now but still in the positive half plane. Coppock buy signals are more valid when the Coppock goes negative first but this close pass may be okay. Note that we are early in Frebruary and the last value used is today's GLD value and not month end. So the flattening out shown on the curve is not a near-buy signal and can't be until month end price occurs.

Name:  GLD Monthly Coppock.GIF
Views: 299
Size:  36.9 KB

The weekly Coppock has signaled. This may be enough to enable a rally for at least a while. You can see four buy signals on this chart, the first three seem to signal reasonable buy points. We will see if the current buy signal works.

Name:  GLD Weekly Coppock.GIF
Views: 257
Size:  41.6 KB
    Mike Scott
    Cloverdale, CA

Mike, thank you as always!

Here is a link to an interesting Gold/Coppock signal indicator:

http://advisorperspectives.com/dshor...tor-Update.php

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Mike, thank you as always!

Here is a link to an interesting Gold/Coppock signal indicator:

http://advisorperspectives.com/dshor...tor-Update.php

Harry
    Harry,
    Thanks for posting this link. I often visit Doug Short's site and find it often has valuable articles. The article validates my own observations and I certainly like the back testing in the article. You can also use a weekly Coppock to fine tune the buy signal date. Essentially watch as the monthly Coppock forms a trough and then shift to the Weekly. The author used daily data of long duration to approximate a curve that would otherwise be used with Month end data. I have done this too in the past. It works okay. www.freestockcharts.com has the Coppock implemented as one of its suite of indicators.

Food for thought: The Coppock can be used on any cyclical stock. For example timing an entry into the home building market (opportunity now past).

When Jerry told me he had been using the Coppock since the late 1980's I was a sceptic. Then I back tested using it on the NASDAQ as a confirmation of IBD Follow-Through Days. Very valuable tool.
    Mike Scott
    Cloverdale, CA

+ Reply to Thread