Quote Originally Posted by senco View Post
While at it, a couple of general thoughts:

- Whipsaws: If the losses on whipsaws are small, best to look at those just as the cost of doing business. Many systems whipsawed in the huge volatility of last year much more than in the last twenty years, simply bringing out the reality of the market... politicians and central banks flip-flopping.
Whipsaws is a clear limitation in the EV based models and must be dealt with with great care.
Indeed, we have seen the EV often moves in a direction opposite to price on single stocks, because large players would take advantage of higher liquidity to buy/sell positions contrary to the price move. However, when a stock/Sector is on its lower boundary or in oversold, then a bounce in EV might indicate that there is real accumulation because the stock/sector is "cheap".

Hence, when I applied the OB/OS MF model to the 96 sectors that I defined, I noticed that the return was lower than using the usual simpler sector model to buy and short. The reason was simply that the sectors are in a "hectic" manner when in OB/OS. They will switch up/down until they stabilize and move definitively in a new direction. I believe that this is a factor that is "inherent" to EV , especially on single stocks or on a basket of a few stocks.

However, industry groups and total market level measures are less prone to EV whipsaws, because they do compensate each other. We would need the majority of the stocks in the sector to be bought and then sold the next day to have whipsaws on an industry level. This has fewer chances to occur and hence, OB/OS works better the more stocks you use in the basket.

Pascal