+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lady Market and Intangibles – October 27, 2011

Lady Market and Intangibles – October 27, 2011

Forum Clusters 111027.xlsx

“Again, I’m just a trader…so what do I know? I would prefer a REAL market with REAL stock setups and REAL leadership, but for now, we simply have to make adjustments based on the intangibles and take what the market gives us. It’s what keeps this game interesting, right?”Joe Fahmy - http://joefahmy.com/2011/10/25/plunge-protection-team/

Don’t miss this latest blog post by Joe Fahmy. It suggests to me that being a disciplined trader (like the robot) is not bound to be much rewarded for a while… Intangibles are just too numerous at present but absent from any rational and historical framework of lessons learned from the past.

I’ve spent 30 years doing my best to become a consistent and profitable trader. It’s been all about systematically practicing good professional behaviors. Lady Market taught me to only try to kiss her when there was a high probability to be welcome, when she was in the mood and well positioned (setup) and near the exits in case she would turn suddenly angry at me.

Today, only bad behavior is rewarded. You just rush in impulsively, forget about all the rules and make a million overnight for raping the girl! Oh yes, Lady Market is not herself anymore, she’s become the toy of liquidity manipulations, intangibles and politicians.

The Brussels accords have, once again, just bought some time for rewarding more bad behaviors.

IWM is now in a position to go testing the 200-day moving average (77.89). Weekly R3 (75.90) is within easy reach with light floor selling pressure. The robot will respect his code of good conduct and stay in cash. Make your own discretionary adjustments if you wish to take what Lady Market is giving right now, but don’t fall in the trap of believing for one minute that she will be a good teacher for your future trading practice.
    Billy

Name:  iwm111027.gif
Views: 7072
Size:  46.2 KB
    Name:  gdx111027.gif
Views: 7069
Size:  42.9 KB

Can the IWM robot only get long after first making a trip to oversold 20D MF terittory?

Hi Billy & Pacal,

Based on current circumstances, can you guys confirm (or correct) my understanding that the 20D MF will only signal a long entry after we have 1st moved to oversold conditions and then retraced back up?

So, if the market moves immediately higher from here without pause or their is only minor pullbacks that does not bring MF into the oversold range, can the IWM robot get long? I guess this would be sort of over-ruling the 20D MF?

btw - I spoke with Fahmy last night, he seems convinced the US (or, PPT) is intervening on the long side. Also, I double checked the Operation Twist start date - see http://seekingalpha.com/article/2983...e-stock-market This references says the first purchases were made Oct 3 and then again on Oct 4 ... interesting coincidence with the Oct 4, last 45 min end of day 7% run in IWM?? Someone how I missed this date/information and should have been more on guard for the snap back.. Maybe we are back into a psuedo-POMO trading regime??

Thoughts?

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_molodow View Post
    Hi Billy & Pacal,

Based on current circumstances, can you guys confirm (or correct) my understanding that the 20D MF will only signal a long entry after we have 1st moved to oversold conditions and then retraced back up?

So, if the market moves immediately higher from here without pause or their is only minor pullbacks that does not bring MF into the oversold range, can the IWM robot get long? I guess this would be sort of over-ruling the 20D MF?

btw - I spoke with Fahmy last night, he seems convinced the US (or, PPT) is intervening on the long side. Also, I double checked the Operation Twist start date - see http://seekingalpha.com/article/2983...e-stock-market This references says the first purchases were made Oct 3 and then again on Oct 4 ... interesting coincidence with the Oct 4, last 45 min end of day 7% run in IWM?? Someone how I missed this date/information and should have been more on guard for the snap back.. Maybe we are back into a psuedo-POMO trading regime??

Thoughts?

Shawn

Lots of emotional headless chickens running around just now. I have been in this type of market many times and it is very easy to get sucked in. I will wait for a better entry.

We probably all feel we are missing something but fear and greed are the enemies at the gate !

Just my 2c

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by manucastle View Post
    Lots of emotional headless chickens running around just now. I have been in this type of market many times and it is very easy to get sucked in. I will wait for a better entry.

We probably all feel we are missing something but fear and greed are the enemies at the gate !

Just my 2c

Trev
    It is a pity we don't have the Motley Fool 'Poll' function here e.g.

Which would be the best investment decision now :-

A. Going long at the open today.
    B. Going short at the open today.
    C. Patiently waiting for a new strong Robot signal either long or short which has been thoroughly tested over the medium term .

For me it is an easy decision. How about you ?

Trev

Trev,

I'm particularly interested in how the RT 20DMF indicator will handle this type of environment. I've been following Pascal's advice that once the 20DMF is above the '0' line, markets remain a buy, but am looking to other tools (as opposed to the Robots) for guides on potential buy setups and price levels.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn_molodow View Post
    Hi Billy & Pacal,

Thoughts?

Shawn
    Shawn,
    The IWM robot can issue a long signal as long as the 20 DMF is on a buy signal with non-neutral LT/ST settings. Because the 20 DMF is still on a buy signal, the LT/ST settings must now issue a buy signal for the robot to enter a new position. It could most probably happen either with a consolidation through time or a pullback that doesn’t switch the 20 DMF back to a sell signal.
    If the 20 DMF turns neutral, the LT/ST settings will decide the robot’s stance.
    We would need to wait for an oversold 20 DMF and a new 20 DMF buy signal only after a sell signal is issued by the 20 DMF.
    I fully agree with Joe Fahmy and, yes, I think we are back in a pseudo-POMO regime which is maybe the most powerful one we’ve seen because Europe is now engaged too in a massive QE program on its own, coordinated with Japan and the BRICs. It will be hard to fight a planetary Fed no matter how insane their program for the long term (paying debt with more debt).
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    I fully agree with Joe Fahmy and, yes, I think we are back in a pseudo-POMO regime which is maybe the most powerful one we’ve seen because Europe is now engaged too in a massive QE program on its own, coordinated with Japan and the BRICs. It will be hard to fight a planetary Fed no matter how insane their program for the long term (paying debt with more debt).
    Billy
    Indeed, this looks like panic buying. 126.71 opened the year and fund managers want to close with what they perceive to be a central bank facilitated bang. One caveat is that, since the equities top, a gap open near daily R3 has been a sell signal. Conversely, if today's gains hold in the coming days, it could be a major risk-on indication.

Name:  spy R3 10-27-11.PNG
Views: 6126
Size:  53.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EB View Post
    Indeed, this looks like panic buying. 126.71 opened the year and fund managers want to close with what they perceive to be a central bank facilitated bang. One caveat is that, since the equities top, a gap open near daily R3 has been a sell signal. Conversely, if today's gains hold in the coming days, it could be a major risk-on indication.

Attachment 11134
    I could not agree more. The 20DMF does not show money chasing high prices right now.
    Also, the inversed ETFs do not see money moving out (except for TWM).
    I believe that we are witnessing a Pavlovian reaction where traders think to be in the POMO days again.
    EV tells us the bounce is a fake.
    Sound trading says to wait for good settings, which are not here yet.
    Usually, large gaps are faded and this is what we are seeing today (not in terms of price, but in terms of MF.)
    Tomorrow will tell us what to do. I suspect a pull-back. If this pull-back is bought, then this "all clear" signal might have legs.

Pascal

Name:  TWM.gif
Views: 5724
Size:  15.7 KBName:  QID.gif
Views: 5756
Size:  17.0 KBName:  SMN.gif
Views: 5647
Size:  16.0 KBName:  SDS.gif
Views: 5690
Size:  16.4 KBName:  SKF.gif
Views: 5697
Size:  16.4 KB

fascinating day

This trending day is fascinating insofar as IWM has basically held the 20 MMA since 8:30AM PST.

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 5902
Size:  70.1 KB

Even the slightest pullback is bought; and yet, the money flow shows a different picture. Thanks Pascal.

Quote Originally Posted by nickola.pazderic View Post
    This trending day is fascinating insofar as IWM has basically held the 20 MMA since 8:30AM PST.

Attachment 11140

Even the slightest pullback is bought; and yet, the money flow shows a different picture. Thanks Pascal.
    Only price counts to make money.
    A topping pattern will take time to form.
    As of now, big money does not chase this gap, but it could chase it in the next days.

In other words, do not chase this up, but do not short either.

Pascal

+ Reply to Thread