Yesterday was a clear reversal day in terms of the individual markets -- SPX, R2K, NDX, but this behavior was not confirmed on the broader $TICK view:

Name:  11OCT04-CompositeTicks.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  350.8 KB

As with all my images, right-click on the figure to open in a new window or tab.

The presentation is shown in 6 windows within the workspace. Across the top, from left to right, is the SSO, IWM, and QQQ. Along the bottom are the indicators on the SPY/$TIKSP (SPX), IWM/$TIKRL (R2K), and QQQ/$TIKQ (NDX). You can see the "V" reversal which started around 15:00 EDT, and it is this type of reversal late in the day (up or down) that I've found is very powerful and sometimes signals a sea-change in sentiment.

In the lower panes you see a green line. This is Billy's suggested 10h MA on the cumulative tick, and historically, crossing over from below and closing above this value has been bullish in the short term. I note that the 10h MA on the SPX has actually changed slope whereas the R2K and NDX have not (but the R2K is closer to a change), so the buying algos were working harder on the SPX than on the others. Again, historically, when I look back in time, this has not been a great longer-term setup, as the R2K and technology typically lead off bottoms. Hence, I'm not overly optimistic for the longer term because of this imbalance.

Also causing me some pause here is that the broader $TICK indicator is no where near showing the strength of the narrower $TIKSP, $TIKRL, nor $TIKQ:

Name:  11OCT04-TickFinal.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  234.1 KB

Across the top I have TZA, which is a -3x inversed ETF on the Russell 2K. I exited early in the session when I saw TZA make a high, promptly reverse lower despite $TICK selling off, telling me the R2K was out of sync with the broader markets. Small caps have been hit hard in this recent down leg, so any divergence between the small caps and the larger markets is something not to play with leverage (in my opinion).

Somewhat ominous here is that the broader markets are not showing the strength -- the $TICK buying didn't take out the 1/2 MA, and until we see the participation here, nimble fingers are required...

Regards,

pgd