+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tick Status / Interpretations

Hybrid View

charts as art

Here are some of my own:

Name:  4.PNG
Views: 709
Size:  131.8 KB

I utilize this four part screen (hat tip to the shadow trader) to measure breadth, A/D, NYSE tick, and IWM on 15 minute scales.

Name:  ghosts.PNG
Views: 642
Size:  178.1 KB

this is a chart of 30 minute NYSE Tick. I keep it in the background-- a ghostly presence.

Name:  ticks.PNG
Views: 699
Size:  172.7 KB

NYSE and NASDAQ Tick Charts, courtesy of Ernst

I'll definitely look to take new positions in IWM-related robotic trades today. 66.88 is only .07 away as I send this off.

Thanks Paul!

I had experimented with a detrended presentation (4th subgraph) and like the slopes idea as well (5th, bottom).

Name:  es 1 min liq ticks 10-6-11.PNG
Views: 518
Size:  86.7 KB

Here are the settings for both, respectively.

Name:  custom3 cume tick detrended.PNG
Views: 514
Size:  23.0 KB

Name:  custom3 cume tick slopes.PNG
Views: 517
Size:  27.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EB View Post
    I had experimented with a detrended presentation (4th subgraph) and like the slopes idea as well.
    Hehehehehe, thanks Bob. I really appreciate all your help here, as your initial shorthand is what sparked my present work (indeed, I use your shorthand on all my displays, as you can see). The slope work lends itself to strategy development very well too, and I'm finding that the underlying asset on Data1, and Data2 = cum(MA($TICK)), Data3 --> $TIKSP, Data4 --> $TIKRL, and Data5 --> $TIKQ can provide additional confirmation. They also can take you out early, so still a work in progress.

My work as of late has concentrated on using the tick indicators to move in, and then timing the individual security with it's own behavior, e.g., much like how the GGT system is conceptualized. Contra ETFs, such as SDS, TWM, TZA, etc. are not faring all that well in backtesting, and I think this is because the primary trend has been up since March 2009. With the primary trend down now I'm getting PF ~ 1.5 or so, but the sample size is so small it's hard to draw valid (statistical) conclusions. I note that the distribution of returns is not Gaussian, so it's not a robust system as of today.

Work in progress....

Regards,

pgd

Paul; Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for!
    Robert

Thanks, Paul. One thing I've empirically noticed in this up leg is the cume Ticks have been getting whipsawed more by their MAs (I only watch Billy's). From the August low to the most recent low, simply trading the cross of the 10 hour was very profitable. Keep plugging away!

+ Reply to Thread