Quote Originally Posted by EB View Post
I had experimented with a detrended presentation (4th subgraph) and like the slopes idea as well.
Hehehehehe, thanks Bob. I really appreciate all your help here, as your initial shorthand is what sparked my present work (indeed, I use your shorthand on all my displays, as you can see). The slope work lends itself to strategy development very well too, and I'm finding that the underlying asset on Data1, and Data2 = cum(MA($TICK)), Data3 --> $TIKSP, Data4 --> $TIKRL, and Data5 --> $TIKQ can provide additional confirmation. They also can take you out early, so still a work in progress.

My work as of late has concentrated on using the tick indicators to move in, and then timing the individual security with it's own behavior, e.g., much like how the GGT system is conceptualized. Contra ETFs, such as SDS, TWM, TZA, etc. are not faring all that well in backtesting, and I think this is because the primary trend has been up since March 2009. With the primary trend down now I'm getting PF ~ 1.5 or so, but the sample size is so small it's hard to draw valid (statistical) conclusions. I note that the distribution of returns is not Gaussian, so it's not a robust system as of today.

Work in progress....

Regards,

pgd