DISH 8/10/2011 2.69% 1 Hold
NA NA NA NA NA
NA NA NA NA NA
Mousetrap Return -5.79%
S&P Return -8.36%

Mousetrap Annualized -61.55%
S&P Annualized -88.80%

Annualized Advantage 27.25%

Two positions remain to be filled on the Mousetrap model. And, in spite of it being slammed with the rest of the market, it continues to outperform that market.

My target is to outperform the S&P by 30% a year.

If the S&P could avoid losing 30% a year, I’ll have a profit.

I’d like to point out, however, that my timing models are in a Bear. That could change, but the current price target is 800 on the S&P – a significant decline from the present.

Corporate profits are up, but this has nothing to do with corporate profits. This has everything to do with governmental failure; both a failure of European governments to avoid looming default, and a failure of our own government to avoid a European model. It doesn’t really matter how well you water your plants in your apartment if the skyscraper you are in is burning down all around you.

As I mentioned before, I’ve personally hedged by shorting XLE (the energy sector). Yesterday I also mentioned that I was closing that position in order to ride a short term rally up to about 1250 on the S&P. We may or may not get there, but XLK (technology) would be a good short term position to take on a spike up.

If we get to that point, though, I’m planning to resume the XLE short.

Don’t get tricked out by the volatility, though. People get forced out of long and short positions at the wrong time because the moves are so titanic that they look like they will go on forever. No matter how volatile the market is, a steady plan, and a steady hand, will usually win.

Wait for it… Bear markets begin with a stab downward, then a rush back up to the long term moving averages. Once they fail to penetrate those averages, then the final stage begins.

Tim