Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
If anyone can find a reliable historical source for this I would be most grateful!
My hypothesis is that many decades ago, before the age of computers and light-speed trading, when most floor traders were lowly-educated people who never graduated in anything, they needed easy-to-compute formulas for defining intermediate levels for sizing in and out of their positions.
One day a statistician made a study and probably discovered the bell curve standard deviation structure of the pivot formulas. It started to work for one, then a few, then several, then many floor traders as the word spread around, further reinforcing the self-prophecy nature of the pivots.
I remember my first days as a market maker trainee, expecting complicated technical analysis and charting trading lessons. I never saw any chart or any technical analysis. Only spreadsheets with the house position's average price compared to the various floor levels. And it worked!
Billy
And is the same for most of the great mm's on the cboe. I met a few over the last years, most can't read a chart even if their lives depend on it.