Quote Originally Posted by jt12 View Post
this is my set of beliefs as far as the relationship between macro events and asset prices (stock prices):
2. Direction of asset prices can not be predicted.
I would say that the right way to look at how to work with the market is to consider trading or investing as an activity where you are estimating the distribution of future prices. How that is done can be any of a million different ways. As long as you (figurative "you") can estimate future price distributions better than most of your competitors (in time frame, in security types, etc.), then you can do well. No one method has an inherent advantage over any other -- simply because if it did, more people would do it, and it would lose effectiveness.

Future stock price distributions can be well estimated by Pascal and Billy's robots as we are seeing in real time. On the complete other side, they can also be very well estimated by deep fundamental analysis over long time periods without regard to technical analysis. Numerous of the world's richest people did exactly that.

The main thing is to find a method that matches one's own personality and that has an inherent edge using one's own skill set. The problem is that I believe it may take 10 or more years to find that combination. Warren Buffett would be completely lost with what we're doing here. And we would be completely lost with what he is doing. But we can all be successful if we find the correct combination for each of us.

-Mike