+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Online Study Group

Online Study Group

Does anyone want to take part in an online book club?

Among the many tomes languishing on my shelf and in need of serious study are:

Brian Shannon Technical Analysis Using Multiple Timeframes
    Bernard Baumohl The Secrets of Economic Indicators
    Coles and Hawkins Midas Technical Analysis: A VWAP Approach to Trading and Investing
    John Person Forex Conquered
    not to mention our own Pascal Willain's Value In Time

We could do a chapter every day, every few days, or every week, or whatever. We could create our own thread where we could post questions about what we've read or seek real time examples of how we could put into practice what we learn from the texts.

If it's too boring for the advanced or too challenging for the beginners we can adjust our pace.

For years I was the organizer of the NYC IBD meetup -- and still am, if we ever find a new venue -- and for a several months I created quizzes for William O'Neil's books, down to and including differences in various editions. It's amazing how much you can learn from that kind of work, and there was always some detail that would stump even the most expert CANSLIM devotee.

Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by ilonaross View Post

Coles and Hawkins Midas Technical Analysis: A VWAP Approach to Trading and Investing

We could do a chapter every day, every few days, or every week, or whatever. We could create our own thread where we could post questions about what we've read or seek real time examples of how we could put into practice what we learn from the texts.

If it's too boring for the advanced or too challenging for the beginners we can adjust our pace.

For years I was the organizer of the NYC IBD meetup -- and still am, if we ever find a new venue -- and for a several months I created quizzes for William O'Neil's books, down to and including differences in various editions. It's amazing how much you can learn from that kind of work, and there was always some detail that would stump even the most expert CANSLIM devotee.

Any takers?
    Ilona,

This is a fantastic initiative, and you seem to be the ideal organizer!
    As several members already know, I have increasing eyesight problems and can hardly read anything anymore. But I will be glad to follow your reviews and discussions.
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by ilonaross View Post

Any takers?
    Hi ilonaross,

Excellent idea. Count me in !

Trev

Which book do u wanna start with?

Hey, Trev.

You name the book, the rate of study, and let's get started.

Ilona

why not?

A reader, I am.

For starters, do you own the books I mentioned, or will you order them, or....

do you want different books altogether?

Brian Shannon's book has a natural first stopping point at p. 46, which is how long it takes for him to define the four stages.

Should we start with this one? Who has it?

Ilona

I have the Shannon's book, just strat to read it.
    I'll be glad to be part of the goup!

I have Brian Shannon's book but possibly, the Coles and Hawkins Midas Technical Analysis: A VWAP Approach to Trading and Investing is more relevant to the Pivot type of analysis used around here ?

Do you think this is the case ?

Trev

Coin toss?

So we need to compile our list and the order we're going to read them in.

Since three of us already have Shannon, and since that flows from Weinstein (I think...) and pertains to Billy's markup stages (I think....) why don't we start there, which will give people time to order the MIDAS book.

How's this for an agenda?

Shannon
    Coles/Hawkins
    Willain

Quote Originally Posted by manucastle View Post
    I have Brian Shannon's book but possibly, the Coles and Hawkins Midas Technical Analysis: A VWAP Approach to Trading and Investing is more relevant to the Pivot type of analysis used around here ?

Do you think this is the case ?

Trev
    I have read both books. If I may, I would suggest starting with Brian's book as it is very easy reading even for novice traders, and it is filled with very practical trading setups and examples. The Coles and Hawkins book is excellent but much more specialized and quicky becomes extremely technically advanced. I am sure many readers could get lost along the way, and it is probably best to start with the largest audience book of Brian.
    Billy

+ Reply to Thread