+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 12 14 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Links

Another spin re IASB and European stress tests.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2857...cial-terrorism

Hmm... do we need a robot for accounting regulations...

Does anyone have an opinion? Should one of us on the board be trying to follow this stuff and report on it? Pretty arcane stuff...

Or is it already baked into the 20DMF cake?

Very good Marc Faber interview on markets, on gold, on bonds etc.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/marc-f...ctively-resign

Interview with George Soros

Soros on Euro bonds, Germany, USA, China:
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/...780189,00.html

Ed Hornstein's latest.

After over a two-year run, the bull market for stocks appears to have ended. As
    I wrote on June 13, 2011:

"The operative question remains whether this is a mere correction or whether the
    market is forecasting a significant slowdown in the economy and we are seeing
    the beginning of the end for the 2009-11 bull market. While it is still a bit
    premature to say, the continued breakdown in the former leaders from late stage
    bases, the lack of leadership in any market sectors, high levels of distribution
    in the tape with the inability to stage even small rallies thus far, and the
    historical context of financial panics and bull markets that ensue (more on this
    in my next market commentary) lead me to conclude that a new bear market could
    be in its very early stages of forming.

Markets generally do not go straight down, and history shows us that our biggest
    up days occur during bear phases. Therefore, even if we are entering a new bear
    market, there will be numerous countertrend rallies, and big up days to suck in
    those eager to believe the correction is over. Whatever course the market takes
    (correction or bear market), high levels of cash until the market
    follows-through and bases rebuild remain the place to be."

In July we were treated to one of those countertrend rallies I described above,
    albeit on low volume. I noted in a comment that some leaders were attempting
    breakouts from bases, but the rally quickly failed later that month, and proved
    to be nothing more than "a last gasp for air" for the bull market.

Since that time, the market has treated us to historic levels of distribution.
    The major indices have quickly dropped approximately twenty percent with the
    market showing very little ability to stage any rallies on meaningful volume.
    What little leadership remained during the past week has gone by the wayside
    such as former leaders PCLN, AMZN, BIDU, LULU, CMG, WYNN, DECK, FOSL, GMCR, CRM
    and SODA. Other former leaders that topped out weeks or months ago have
    continued to see incessant distribution such as APKT, PNRA, NFLX, ISRG, RVBD,
    TZOO, OPEN, and TIF.

Simply put, we are in a bear market for stocks. This means that maintaining
    high levels of cash and preserving capital are key. A few important points:

1) The Biggest Rallies Occur During Bear Markets: These rallies merely serve to
    relieve oversold conditions and to suck people back in the market. Keep this in
    mind. Until the market follows-through and fresh bases and leadership set up,
    all rallies should be treated as mere bear market rallies. Time will be needed
    for the market to set up for a new bull, and we are likely to head lower before
    this occurs.
    2) Ignore the Pundits: The pundits and prognosticators in the media never
    change their tone during bear markets. Whether it was the dot com bust and
    eighty percent drop in the NASDAQ from 2000-02, or the financial panic in
    2007-2008, we hear the same thing nonsense every bear market: "Stay Invested",
    "Buy the Dip", "The Market is Oversold", "Stay the Course", "The selling is
    overdone", "The market is overreacting", or "Stocks are Cheap". Heeding the
    advice of these people will do nothing more than cause severe looses in your
    portfolios. The simple fact is this: Nobody knows how far or how deep this
    bear market can go. Until a new bull is born, stocks can go lower, stocks can
    get cheaper, the market can get more oversold, and the selling can get more
    overdone.

3) The Difference Between an Intermediate Correction and a Bear Market: The key
    characteristic of a bear market is that almost all of the former leading stocks
    will top out and break down, as opposed to intermediate corrections where many
    leaders will stay above key longer-term moving averages such as the 150-day or
    200-day moving averages. During last summer's intermediate correction for
    example, many leaders stayed above these longer-term moving averages, such as
    BIDU, AAPL, CRM, OPEN, RVBD, VMW, NFLX, FOSL, and CMG. Juxtapose today's market
    environment where almost every former leader has broken these key moving
    averages on heavy volume. Faced with this indisputable evidence, odds favor we
    are in a new bear market for stocks

4) The Obvious Good News: Every major bear market has led to a new bull market.
    Bear markets get rid of the excess, froth and speculation of the prior bull and
    allow new leading stocks the time to base out and set up for their future runs.
    As long as one preserves his capital and stays out of the way of mother market's
    wrath, he will have the opportunity to make a king's random once the new bull
    market begins. Unfortunately, the average investor is so devastated by the bear
    market preceding that point, that he wants absolutely nothing to do with stocks
    and misses the bountiful opportunities accompanying the new bull.

5) Exercise Patience During a Bear Market: This is something I constantly
    remind myself of as it is the key to investment success. I wrote the following
    in December 2008 and it is extremely relevant today:

A quick note on a topic I address now and again which I consider highly relevant
    at this time. It is the virtue of patience and not overtrading. Throughout
    this year, I have watched as many colleagues have tried to catch a market bottom
    only to lose more money then they had to if they simply waited for a
    follow-through day and waited for bases to build and breakouts to occur. It was
    their lack of patience, not their lack of trading intelligence that caused these
    losses. I know many extremely talented traders who are always in the market,
    every single day, taking unnecessary risk because they somehow "feel" the need
    to trade everyday. Without exception, this incessant need to always trade leads
    to a lackluster performance and can be an extremely costly mistake that often
    can be the undoing of a trader. Especially in a market as volatile as this, it
    is of crucial importance to maintain discipline and not to overtrade and to be a
    slave to every tick. All of the great traders I have studied, such as William
    O'Neil, Nicholas Darvas, Bernard Baruch, and Jesse Livermore understood that a
    large part of a successful trader's career is spent out of the market waiting
    for the fat pitch, and not swinging at anything but "their" pitch. These
    individuals, who all had decades of success in the market, understood this fact,
    and it is what kept them consistently successful in their trading careers.

I challenge all of my readers to review their portfolios over the past year and
    to ascertain how much money they could have saved by not overtrading and by
    being more patient and waiting for the right opportunities. Such a portfolio
    review, with an eye to eliminate needless trading, is an exercise I always find
    very beneficial.

When a new bull is born, there will be new leaders that breakout and rally 250
    percent or more very quickly. At a time like that, margin and aggressiveness
    can reap big rewards. But, the prudent disciplined trader will await that time
    and not expose capital to unnecessary risks trying to capture short term profits
    on each tick.

I leave you with some words of wisdom on this topic. If you have any questions
    or comments please email me. I will have a report later this week that
    discusses the rally and any leadership that may develop in the coming days. For
    now, I remain fully cash.

The best speculators search only for the very best opportunities. To be truly
    successful, you must wait for the right opportunities to present themselves and
    this often means doing nothing for long periods of time.

Nicholas Darvas

I have been in the speculative game ever since I was fourteen. It is all I have
    ever done. I think I know what I am talking about. And the conclusion that I
    have reached after nearly thirty years of constant trading, both on a shoestring
    and with millions of dollars back of me, is this: A man may beat a stock or a
    group at a certain time, but no man living can beat the stock market .... A man
    may make money out of individual deals in cotton or grain, but no man can beat
    the cotton market or the grain market .... "If I knew how to make these
    statements stronger or more emphatic I certainly would. It does not make any
    difference what anybody says to the contrary. I know I am right in saying these
    are incontrovertible statements.

Jesse Livermore

The virtue of patience in trading is often overlooked as a key success factor.
    Without patience, a trader may have the tendency to trade when he or she
    shouldn't. Instead of waiting for the best trading set-ups, the trader would
    take extra unnecessary risk by trading when not all the factors are in their
    favor. Worse, this bad habit is compounded by the uncertain nature of the
    markets. Some of these hastily taken trades sometimes do make profits, and do
    make profits big. This reinforces the belief of the trader that he or she has
    done the right thing. On those trades that lose, the trader can deceive himself
    that, "It's ok, losing is part of the game. I'll win more than I lose.

Author Unknown

Ed Hornstein's report of Sept. 5.

In my August 18, 2011 market commentary, I wrote the following:

"The major indices have quickly dropped approximately twenty percent with the
    market showing very little ability to stage any rallies on meaningful volume.
    What little leadership remained during the past week has gone by the wayside
    such as former leaders PCLN, AMZN, BIDU, LULU, CMG, WYNN, DECK, FOSL, GMCR, CRM
    and SODA. Other former leaders that topped out weeks or months ago have
    continued to see incessant distribution such as APKT, PNRA, NFLX, ISRG, RVBD,
    TZOO, OPEN, and TIF.

Simply put, we are in a bear market for stocks. This means that maintaining
    high levels of cash and preserving capital are key. "

During the past two weeks, the market staged a classic "jam" rally off the lows,
    with little leadership to speak of. Such a rally was not surprising given that
    the major indices had seen historic selling off their highs. Indeed, the Nasdaq
    Composite managed to rally into the 2600 level, which had marked key support for
    the index in March and June of this year. Unfortunately, that support level has
    now become key resistance, and that index failed its first test of that level
    miserably.

The "jam" rally had little, if any, characteristics of a sustained uptrend,
    other than a suspect follow-through day on August 23. That follow-through day
    lacked clear and unequivocal volume to indicate that institutions were putting
    money back to work in the market. In addition, in the days after the
    follow-through day the major indices rallied on below-average volume, somewhat
    reminiscent of the "jam" rally we saw in late June through July before the sell
    off began. Third and most importantly, was the clear lack of leadership and
    strong basing patterns in the market.

The few stocks that managed to make new highs recently were mostly illiquid or
    defensive-related names, and not the high-quality liquid growth names that are
    associated with new market uptrends.

Stocks such as PMST, MAKO, and ARCO are not exactly the type of liquid growth
    names that would lead the markets by themselves out of a bear market. While
    these stocks could be future leaders down the road -- without other liquid
    names showing strength at this time -- they are merely illustrative of the
    smaller, illiquid stocks that may buck the trend during a countertrend rally.
    This reminds me somewhat of the August 2008 countertrend rally before the
    historic market debacle in 2008. As my personal journal entry from August 28,
    2008 reads:

"The only stocks I see breaking out or leading now are smaller illiquid names
    that do not give me confidence the big money crowd is putting money back to
    work. While it is nice to see a name like AVAV or AFAM buck the trend, those
    stocks appear to be the exception to the bear market, and not stocks that would
    lead us out of this nasty market environment. For this reason, I fear this
    rally does not have a long way to go."

Although I wrote that journal entry three years ago, the fact that I could
    simply substitute PSMT, MAKO, or ARCO for AFAM or AVAV, is anything but
    inspiring. Again, perhaps these stocks are future leaders, but without other
    liquid names making new highs and leading, the rally we saw does not correlate
    well with a new sustained market uptrend at this time.

Similar to today, the often-defensive medical space in August 2008 was showing
    good relative strength. At that time names like CELG and AMGN were going into
    new highs only to eventually get crushed during the great crash in the fall of
    2008. Similarly, during the "jam" rally, medical stocks like ATHN, MAKO, and
    CERN have shown superior relative strength. Without other groups leading the
    charge however, precedent tells us that rotation into the medical area can often
    be a sign of a "risk-off" or defensive mindframe for the big money crowd.

Faced with suspect illiquid leadership, rallies led by defensive stocks, and
    virtually nonexistent superior basing patterns in growth stocks, the "jam" rally
    appeared somewhat suspect from the start. And, late last week, the indices may
    have begun to tip their hands, as they turned rather swiftly to the downside
    after running into logical resistance.

While our markets were closed for Labor Day, the European markets continued
    their sell-offs yesterday, with the major European bourses down anywhere from
    3.5-5%, and the major European banks trading to 29-month lows. This certainly
    does not bode well for our markets, and coupled with last week's sell-off
    certainly leads one to conclude that "jam" rally appears to have ended.

Certainly a retest of the August 8 lows, and another leg down in this bear
    market appears likely at this time. For now, the only small positive is that
    some of the higher quality liquid names have shown a bit of "stubbornness"
    during last week's selling, as stocks like AMZN, PCLN, ISRG, MA, AAPL, BIDU,
    and CMG continue to show exceptional relative strength. These "sexy seven"
    should be watched carefully as they will offer an important clue as to the
    duration and severity of this bear market. Should they come under heavy
    distribution and break lows from last month, the odds of a further sell-off
    would be increasingly likely.

In summation, faced with the negative environment described above, high levels
    of cash and capital preservation remain of high import. Other than gold and
    gold miners, being long in this market continues to be a recipe for disaster.
    And only the fool will make useless predictions of how long this bear lasts, or
    attempt to trade every wiggle and tick on the tape, shorting and going long
    almost at random while masking his or her incessant need to always trade.

Just as the best poker players play only a strong hand and know to throw away
    weak ones, the skilled speculators understand to only play their strong hands in
    the market. And the beauty of investing, is that we never have to ante until we
    see the opponent's cards -- in this case -- the cards of mother market.

Remain patient and defensive for it is an absolute certainty that sooner or
    later a new bull market will be born. And like every new bull market, most will
    miss it as they will be too busy shorting it or refusing to commit capital once
    it begins.

I have assets managed by Fisher Investments since 2002. They send me a Capital Markets Update quarterly. This most recent one may be of interest. Ken Fisher has been in the investment business for a lifetime, preceded by his father who was prominent during the Jesse Livermore days. By design, the video self-erases within approximately two weeks. The video is about 45 minutes long. Click on the following link. Hope it works and that you enjoy the information. buzzman

http://www.fi.com/weballey/autoexpir...0XjJaxSxVJg%3d

Ed Hornstein's email of Sept. 6

I wanted to put out a brief update to my commentary from last night.

The one positive I noted was that a few large liquid growth leaders were acting
    "stubborn" and showing excellent relative strength. Indeed, these stocks bucked
    the trend once again today, and led the major indices to close well off their
    lows in somewhat of a positive reversal day. While the market continues to
    sell-off, these stocks continue to base build and, at least for the time being,
    are resisting the general market's distribution.

I noted that these stocks' behavior would offer a key clue as to the duration
    and severity of this bear phase. I cannot underscore this point enough. Simply
    stated, the seven stocks I noted, and a few others (listed below), will let us
    know whether the bear phase ends soon, or whether the indices break recent lows.
    As I noted, it would be foolish to prognosticate on the outcome and I will leave
    that for others to banter about. For now, I note that it remains a positive
    that these stocks continue to base-build, resist the selling pressure, and show
    excellent strength.

In light of this, I am providing my first watch list in quite some time. This
    is not a buy list, but merely a list of companies with superior fundamentals and
    that are showing the ability to resist high levels of distribution in the
    market. Should the market embark on a sustainable uptrend, many of these stocks
    likely will be "go to" leaders. Of course, any continued selling in the general
    market likely takes many of these stocks much lower. One should exercise
    patience, for there will be ample opportunity to be aggressive on the long side
    should the market decide to resolve itself to the upside.

AMZN, PCLN, ISRG, MA, AAPL, BIDU, CMG, GMCR, CROX, UA, LULU, HANS, MAKO, PSMT,
    ARCO, CF, POT, NTES, ATHN, CERN, NUS, PANL, V, Z, LVS, WYNN, LNKD, AWAY, ALXN,
    VRUS ,JAZZ, QCOR, PRGO, CPHD, SBUX, WFM, SBH, AZO, JCOM, CPA.

Yuan offshore hub

Three days ago I was struck by this article:
    China to back London as offshore yuan hub
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/chi...-ft-2011-09-07

Yesterday there was a comment on it:
    Analysts skeptical about yuan convertibility
    http://www.tradereform.org/2011/09/a...onvertibility/

A few months ago, Singapore was also involved:
    Singapore Has a Leg Up In Trading-Hub Race
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...728891436.html

Singapore can be offshore yuan centre, but won't surpass Hong Kong
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7FB0GW20110411

What implications will there be, if China expands to Singapore as its second yuan trading hub after hongkong?
    http://www.marketcrunch.net/question...after-hongkong

And so on, you can google and find other articles. I know nothing about forex, although it fascinates me. However, it seems to me that something is boiling. Not surprisingly, I would say.

Soros on the euro crisis

Does the Euro Have a Future? Soros explains his point of view:
    http://www.nybooks.com/articles/arch...o-have-future/

+ Reply to Thread