Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
This could be a great research work Ellis. Do you intend to perform it?
I for sure do not have the tools right now to do that.

Pascal
I don't have tools of the quality the robot, or the ability to backtest multiple years, or the discipline to do this at the level which would satisfy most members to risk their own money on the results; having said that, I have the tools to produce my own active boundary and EV flow charts in Excel, at the one-minute resolution, and I'm pretty sure the results match those given by the methods described in the book. I also concur, and I think many members have had the thought, that the tick is the final destination, though retaining that much data for enough symbols to be meaningful is beyond my current capacity.

Initially, what I am doing is just taking a given stock's EV spreadsheet, copying it, inverting the logic of the EV detection formula by copying it down the OHLCV columns, and observing the results. So far I don't have enough data to risk any observations, but when I do, I'll post them up. The reason I'm willing to try this at all is that everyone's computer trading systems, as a feature, are based on clocks network-synchronized to the second world-wide, which means that everyone's one-minute charts are very likely looking at the exact same single minutes. It's that technological presumption that makes the idea of a cross-minute algo hiding in plain sight seem so devilishly clever - no one in their right mind would intentionally skew their own trading clock, and only institutions have the horsepower and staff to chart, store, and analyze tick data on samples and timelines large enough to trust. And as many already know, day traders and longer-hold investors generally prefer longer timeframes than one minute, rather than shorter.

I've been out of the cubicle world for quite a while, but if I were going to try to conceal large accumulation or distribution from EV detectors, that's how I'd do it, because its so relatively cheap and easy and based on a presumption that no one thinks to mess with.