+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Article: Hopes on trade issues combined to good earnings will trigger a general bounce this week.

Article: Hopes on trade issues combined to good earnings will trigger a general bounce this week.

That is once again the proof that U.S.-China trade talks/concerns and are the most powerful catalyst for the stock market. I wonder if there have been any changes made lately in practical accounting theory and financial statements for investing.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLewis View Post
    That is once again the proof that U.S.-China trade talks/concerns and are the most powerful catalyst for the stock market. I wonder if there have been any changes made lately in practical accounting theory and financial statements for investing.
    Markets have greatly changed in the past 10 years due to the Fed's liquidity injections and now QE tightening. Funds have hence developed liquidity variation detection mechanisms that have been programmed into automatic algos trading strategies.

The China/US situation, Trump's tweets and similar situations are triggers, but the movements themselves are greatly amplified by liquidity based strategies combined to the automatic movements amplification produced by index funds.

As I wrote in today's comment, suddenly, at 14:18, money came into the S&P500 and large NQ8 stocks. Algos caught on and started buying IBB at 14:34, then even the small caps at 14:36.

That evolution can be seen below and points to automatic algo based trading.

But yes, you are right, besides the mark-to-unicorn assets valuation method, none of the accounting or financial statement theory has changed in past years.

Pascal

Name:  20DMF_RT.gif
Views: 196
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  NQ8_MF.gif
Views: 165
Size:  17.0 KBName:  NQ100_MF.gif
Views: 208
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  IBB_MF.gif
Views: 204
Size:  30.9 KB