PDA

View Full Version : Volume Alert Trigger mid day

Mike
07-30-2014, 02:07 PM
This is what the Volume Alert Trigger page looks like a little over 4 hours into the trading day. The columns have been sorted by VolTrgMrgn% to bring the alerts to the top. Notice that TRN meets the criteria for an alert but because its price has reversed near the lows of the day's range the alert is preempted. The last column shows TRN Range% at 2.86% (near the bottom).

ARRS and TSLA show low quality alerts (Quality% = 39.73 and 30.50) meaning that the volume barely meets threshold and there are too many hours left in the day to confirm that the volume will most likely persist into the close. Quality% of 70% or more would very likely persist and that is what we look for.

The best alerts to execute a trade on would have the following traits:

High Volume Trigger Margin%, the higher the better
Price above 10-day or 50-day <2%, the closer to the average the better
High Quality% > 70%
Range% > 50%

The alert system will alarm on looser values so it is up to the user to qualify the opportunity. Of the alerts presented in the figure below none of them meet the full list above.

barbados11
07-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Hi Mike, I am beginning to see what's important little by little. Yesterday I took a small position in AFSI towards the end of the day and, if I remember correctly, it met these criteria. I really appreciate these updates to educate us.

Thanks and best regards,

Pablo

Mike
07-31-2014, 08:05 AM
The condition to create a green row on the Volume Trigger Alert has been tightened to the criteria below.
Even 4% above the 50-day for example may be too extended for some risk appetites but they should be monitored. Often a stock will show a Volume Trigger Alert and pull back some allowing a lower risk entry.

Change%> 0
and
((0<50MA%<4) or (0<10MA%<4))
and
Volume Trigger Mrgn > 0
and
50MA% > 0
and
quality% > 70.0
and
range%> 25.0