PDA

View Full Version : Bloody IWM And Golden GDX - April 11, 2012

Billy
04-11-2012, 06:33 AM
With the 20 DMF tumbling down as it did yesterday, it will take many days if not weeks to repair the damage done to the market. Every snapback rally in the short term will offer secondary entries with good probabilistic edges.

Today’s initial short entry for the IWM robot is at a limit of 78.35 with a stop 2.25% above the actual execution price. I would recommend a relatively small initial position because IWM is already extremely oversold for the week and near Weekly S3 (78.09) where 95% of the week’s down move is statistically achieved. I prefer to keep ammunitions dry for better secondary entries in the coming days if the new protection level from the 20 DMF Oversold doesn’t reverse to a long signal. Please read Pascal’s “comment of the day” about this rule. Entries as close as possible to Weekly S2 (79.75) would be ideal opportunities even for today. The logical next target to the downside is the 200-day moving average (75.61) bounding the lower frontier of the strong second support cluster. That is why the multi-pivot reward/risk is 3:1 even at a limit short entry of 78.35.

Yesterday, the GDX RT model not only triggered a buy signal at the average + porosity level but rose also later above the 0% + porosity level. This maintains the buy signal active at a higher protection level. The protection where to reverse from long to short is at 0% - porosity or -0.133% today. It closed at -0.04% so there is a risk of whipsaw near the open if large players are selling early.

The EOD GDX robot will enter a long position at the opening tick today with an initial worst-case stop 6.38% lower than the execution price. For the EOD GDX, The protection level is below the Average - Porosity (-0.052%.) The Overbought level is waiting far above at + 1.35%.

GDX is testing the declining 5-day VWAP (47.18) and it is the next technical hurdle to jump above. A decisive breakout above Weekly pivot (47.65) and last Wednesday’s wide bar high (47.77) should open the road for a gap-fill assault up to 48.80. Floor resistance are only daily and weekly levels whose strength are paling in comparison to the massive support clusters.

Yesterday was the second day in a row of outstanding relative strength vs. SPY and the first day in a very long while where GDX outperformed metal gold. Both RS are powerful catalysts of strong GDX advances and they need to confirm for a sustained up move.
Billy

3morning
04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Billy,

Did GDX RT issue a short signal?

Thanks,
Armand

Billy
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Billy,

Did GDX RT issue a short signal?

Thanks,
Armand

Armand,

Hopefully you’ve read Pascal’s message just after posting your question.
When RT signals trigger, my priority is to work on my own optimal executions for the many accounts I manage. Some require options trading and it can sometimes be long and tough especially during lunch hours doldrums. Today was particularly long to execute properly.
Then can I send an alert message if Pascal has not already done it. In the future, e-mail alerts will solve the problem and free us time for trading instead of sending alerts.
That’s why we take so much care to help you anticipate RT signals before the market opens.
We repeated in at least 2 morning posts that a short RT signal would trigger at -0.133%. Had the MF hit -0.133% when you asked your questions? Yes? Then why do you ask?
If you’re not sure about something please ask before the market opens, not under heat.
We do our homework and plan to help you.
Please do your share of homework and planning.
This is not personal to you, but to all members.
Billy

Pascal
04-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Armand,

Hopefully you’ve read Pascal’s message just after posting your question.
When RT signals trigger, my priority is to work on my own optimal executions for the many accounts I manage. Some require options trading and it can sometimes be long and tough especially during lunch hours doldrums. Today was particularly long to execute properly.
Then can I send an alert message if Pascal has not already done it. In the future, e-mail alerts will solve the problem and free us time for trading instead of sending alerts.
That’s why we take so much care to help you anticipate RT signals before the market opens.
We repeated in at least 2 morning posts that a short RT signal would trigger at -0.133%. Had the MF hit -0.133% when you asked your questions? Yes? Then why do you ask?
If you’re not sure about something please ask before the market opens, not under heat.
We do our homework and plan to help you.
Please do your share of homework and planning.
This is not personal to you, but to all members.
Billy

Armand's question came together with my post. So it was a web "collision."

Pascal

ilonaross
04-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Billy:

When you talk about RS, is your metric 20DMF vs GDX MF, or is it an IBD style RS, or is it each ticker's individual RS when compared with its own history?

I guess the question is really, how do you measure the outperformance of GDX compared with gold itself?

tnx

Billy
04-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Billy:

When you talk about RS, is your metric 20DMF vs GDX MF, or is it an IBD style RS, or is it each ticker's individual RS when compared with its own history?

I guess the question is really, how do you measure the outperformance of GDX compared with gold itself?

tnx

Ilona,
It is simply the standard RS vs. SPY and GLD.
Successful bottom reversals and sustained uptrends tend to happen with rising RS vs.SPY above rising moving average RS (I use 63 periods because on the daily it fits 3 months).
The longer the timeframe used the better. Currently, GDX is outperforming SPY on the hourly chart and its RS:SPY should stay above the 63 period average until on the daily chart RS:SPY crosses above its own 63 MA.

For GDX, the strongest uptrends happen when it is also outperforming GLD. Currently RS:GLD is above its 63 MA up to the 30-min chart. For a smooth uptrend, It should stay there until the RS:GLD crosses above its 63 MA on the hourly chart.
Once there is failure, we may expect choppiness and risk of reversal.
The example chart below is for the 15 min. timeframe.
Billy

ilonaross
04-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Billy.