PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives for keeping cash

Sandy
12-27-2011, 09:49 PM
In high volatile market, when you are not trading, what would be the better option to keep cash? The reason for asking this question is trying to protect my cash from events like MF global crisis.

1. Keep cash in FDIC insured accounts in large bank, such as Chase.
2. Keep cash in FDIC insured attounts at brokerage firm itself. TD ameritrade has option to move money in FDIC insured accounts.
3. Buy relatively stable bond ETFs (SHY, SHV). In this option you have cash invested in some physical assets.

Thanks.
Sandy

EB
12-28-2011, 11:52 AM
In high volatile market, when you are not trading, what would be the better option to keep cash? The reason for asking this question is trying to protect my cash from events like MF global crisis.

1. Keep cash in FDIC insured accounts in large bank, such as Chase.
2. Keep cash in FDIC insured attounts at brokerage firm itself. TD ameritrade has option to move money in FDIC insured accounts.
3. Buy relatively stable bond ETFs (SHY, SHV). In this option you have cash invested in some physical assets.

Thanks.
Sandy

Thanks for raising these issues. I have responded here (http://www.effectivevolume.com/showthread.php?4399-Hypothecation-and-Investment-of-Customer-Funds-and-Securities&p=19585#post19585).