PDA

View Full Version : No Apocalypse Yet – December 13, 2011

Billy
12-13-2011, 04:58 AM

“Pre-FOMC selloffs have been pretty reliable buy points for a 1-2 day trade. Over the last 30 occurrences stretching back to the early 80′s, 26 (87%) led to a close above the setup day’s close either on the day of the Fed announcement or the following session vs. 66% random odds…” Rennie Yang – Markettells.com

“The S&P was down 1.49% today. The last ten occasions the S&P started the December Opex Week off with a losing day, the remaining four days were net positive. On the four previous occasions where the Monday was down by more than 1%, the remaining four days were all up at least 2.22%.” - Wayne Whaley

“With the S&P 500 down on the 1st session of December’s OpEx or FOMC week, the index had shown a remarkable positive performance over the course of the then following two weeks in the past. The S&P 500 closed at a higher level at the end of the week on two out of every three occurrences, and at the end of the then following week on 25 out of 29 occurrences (or 86.20% of the time). The index gained 1.0%+ until the end of the week and until the end of the then following week on 10 and 14 occurrences respectively, while closing lower 1.0%+ on 1 to 2 occurrences only (always compared to the S&P 500 close on the first session of the FOMC week). Although the market’s prospect might not look very bright with the S&P 500 down -1.46% on the first session during an otherwise bullish seasonality, historically probabilities and odds are tilt in favor of higher prices and limited downside potential over the course of the next two weeks.” Frank – Tradingtheodds.com

“Last week I made mention of the positive message from seeing the Russell 2000 Growth Index ranking higher than both of the Russell 1000 style indices in our four-period momentum ranking system. It is currently just behind the 2000 Value, but the real point is that small cap stocks are currently leading big cap stocks in that ranking system, and that is a bullish message.

We see the same message in the top chart, which measures relative strength in a different way. The lower indicator in that chart is just the daily ratio of the Russell 2000 Index to the Russell 1000 Index. You calculate it by dividing one by the other. When it is moving upward, it says that the Russell 2000 is outperforming the 1000 on a relative basis, and that is usually a good sign for the overall market. Right now, this relative strength line is still above its 5% Trend, which is bullish, and it is threatening to break out above a shallow declining tops line. You can see from the other examples of trendlines drawn on this relative strength line that the breaking of these lines conveys an important message about trend change, quite often ahead of the equivalent line on the price plot being broken.” Tom McClellan

I could continue the list of bullish conclusions by external independent quants forever as I could not find any bearish nor neutral quantitative (objective) conclusions for the short term outlook. Unless you are a schizophrenic contrarian in front of that unanimity, I wouldn’t expect much weakness soon.

Both large players and market makers algorithms are acting on the same outlook. Large players RT 20 DMF strength finished the day net neutral (15% below average compared to 160% below average last Thursday) after aggressive buy programs were launched late in the session. There was no countertrend push at the close, contrary to all previous days.

Market makers held Weekly S1 (72.71) as key support for rebuilding their inventories and sizing in at Monday’s daily S1 (72.96) where intraday VWAP has been sitting most of the day. Buyers claimed their victory of the day by finally breaking the confluent VWAP and S1. This is a very bullish short term development and confirms that there are still significant bids and support just under the initial IWM robot entry at 73.14. Rebuilding inventory at Weekly S1 on a Monday usually sets a minimal target to Weekly R1 (75.88) at some time in the remainder of the week. This would imply that new highs and a potential first touch of the 200-day moving average (76.71) since last July are in the cards.

The next strong resistance cluster also starts at Weekly R1 (75.88) and the weekly pivot (74.05) offers little resistance power in-between. As usual, the market will likely wait for the FOMC announcement at 2:15PM at the intraday VWAP level. Anything can happen but I have a well-founded intuition of bearded Santa Ben offering us all a Merry and Profitable Christmas! If it is not the case, we’ll hold the position until the stop (71.02) is hit or we have a robot signal change.

The new improved GDX robot triggered its first short trade setup today and will enter short at the open with an initial stop 7.72% above entry price. Since multi-pivots have not been helpful on an initial entry (but well on secondary entries) I will mostly let you read Pascal’s comments.

The Precious Metals Sector Money Flow was very weak on Monday and closed with a very strong negative divergence.

I’d like to emphasize that a decisive breakdown below Yearly pivot (55.19) and Weekly S3 (54.20) has a good chance of cascading into a fast collapse down to the second support cluster starting at Monthly S2 (50.70).
Billy

barbados11
12-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Billy,

As always, great stuff and thank you. Do you still embrace the concept of the first move after the FOMC announcement is a head fake for our discretionary trades?

Regards,

Pablo

Billy
12-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Billy,

As always, great stuff and thank you. Do you still embrace the concept of the first move after the FOMC announcement is a head fake for our discretionary trades?

Regards,

Pablo

Pablo,
Yes beware of the very first move. The real move takes several seconds to one minute to be “collegially” decided by large players depending on the announcement content.
Billy

barbados11
12-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Thank you Billy.

Pablo,
Yes beware of the very first move. The real move takes several seconds to one minute to be “collegially” decided by large players depending on the announcement content.
Billy

EB
12-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Pablo,
Billy

Indeed, the markets get so illiquid just prior to the announcement that a few hundred ES contracts can really move the market. Also, the announcements can be been late, (recently by up to ten minutes) depending upon the health of the fax and copy machines at the Fed and Treasury (no joke here). I wait for the embargoed headlines on a news feed to confirm the release actually occurred. Here's a free one:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/newsviewer

nickola.pazderic
12-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Billy,

I've been looking at this analysis, conducted by you in September after an FOMC trade (http://www.effectivevolume.com/showthread.php?4068-Debriefing-of-yesterday-s-FOMC-IWM-TZA-discretionary-trade&highlight=fomc).

Can I ask what you plan do do should the market decide to sell off against our robot positions hard after the announcement?

Many thanks,

Billy
12-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Billy,

I've been looking at this analysis, conducted by you in September after an FOMC trade (http://www.effectivevolume.com/showthread.php?4068-Debriefing-of-yesterday-s-FOMC-IWM-TZA-discretionary-trade&highlight=fomc).

Can I ask what you plan do do should the market decide to sell off against our robot positions hard after the announcement?

Many thanks,

I will act like a robot and let the trade pan out until stop is hit or overnight signal change. I haven't boarded this boat before thinking first it might sink. I took it because waters are not too deep for me on this trip and I have my safety buoy (stop) with me.
Billy

adam ali
12-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Aye, aye skipper!

TraderD
12-14-2011, 09:19 AM
I could continue the list of bullish conclusions by external independent quants forever as I could not find any bearish nor neutral quantitative (objective) conclusions for the short term outlook. Unless you are a schizophrenic contrarian in front of that unanimity, I wouldn’t expect much weakness soon.

Billy, wouldn't a contrarian move to unanimous bullish predictions satisfy the commonly quoted market's tendency to upset the largest number of its participants?

Trader D

Billy
12-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Billy, wouldn't a contrarian move to unanimous bullish predictions satisfy the commonly quoted market's tendency to upset the largest number of its participants?

Trader D

Yes, but here I was only listing “quantified” predictions, not “subjective” ones.
This market is the most unusual I’ve seen in my life. Not only by its behavior but mostly by the confusion I see in all participants, small or large players, short term or long term players, novices or most experienced ones.
My personal opinion is that all politicians are egotists, irresponsible and childish and are far more dangerous for our financial systems than the worst Wall Street evils. That’s what the financial world is sensing. I’ve never seen such a political mess here in Europe and I’m afraid it will only change if the market collapses totally.
Billy

brrim
12-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Yes, but here I was only listing “quantified” predictions, not “subjective” ones.
This market is the most unusual I’ve seen in my life. Not only by its behavior but mostly by the confusion I see in all participants, small or large players, short term or long term players, novices or most experienced ones.
My personal opinion is that all politicians are egotists, irresponsible and childish and are far more dangerous for our financial systems than the worst Wall Street evils. That’s what the financial world is sensing. I’ve never seen such a political mess here in Europe and I’m afraid it will only change if the market collapses totally.
Billy
Billy; Your comments are always wise. This one really resonates. I think you are right on the essence of it all.
Thank you.
Robert