PDA

View Full Version : CANSLIM Course

Mike
10-14-2011, 12:00 PM
In the coming weeks I will be sharing some presentation material. These presentations were prepared for an IBD Meetup that I run in Thousand Oaks, CA. The presentations take a person from beginning CABSLIM principles and takes you on to advanced topics. The first in the series is attached. Everyone is encouraged to read and reread How to Make Money in Stocks by William J O'Neil.

adam ali
10-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks for this, Mike.

asomani
10-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Very generous of you, Mike. I look forward to the whole series. The slides look excellent.

Thank you.

If you decide to record the talk in some way, or do a webinar or webcast, I would be interested in seeing it. Unfortunately, I'm quite far from Thousand Oaks.

hgsfan
10-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Thank you very much for your generosity, Mike. Always appreciate your postings.

KevinKT
10-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Thank you for the presentation. It is a good refresher for the book How To Make Money in stocks.

Can someone give some examples of current stocks that meet the CANSLIM principles. I will give one here.

In Canadian Junior oil and gas field, will ONR (Open Range Energy) fit into that category? This is a small oil and gas company. In their attempt to reduce cost on drilling horizontal wells, they developed a method to store frac liquid at site, which they found to be very useful and began to sell to others. It was very profitable so they decide to spin out that service in another company next month, each ONR shareholder will receive 0.882 share of Poseidon, which will pay a monthly dividend of 0.09. The parent company will continue to be an oil and gas exploration company.

ONR rocket up from 6.60 to 9.00 after the announcement in September, based for a month, and recently went up again following the market recovery.

Mike
10-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Thank you for the presentation. It is a good refresher for the book How To Make Money in stocks.

Can someone give some examples of current stocks that meet the CANSLIM principles. I will give one here.

In Canadian Junior oil and gas field, will ONR (Open Range Energy) fit into that category? This is a small oil and gas company. In their attempt to reduce cost on drilling horizontal wells, they developed a method to store frac liquid at site, which they found to be very useful and began to sell to others. It was very profitable so they decide to spin out that service in another company next month, each ONR shareholder will receive 0.882 share of Poseidon, which will pay a monthly dividend of 0.09. The parent company will continue to be an oil and gas exploration company.

ONR rocket up from 6.60 to 9.00 after the announcement in September, based for a month, and recently went up again following the market recovery.

Kevin,
I am unable to provide a complete response to your selection of ONR as a possible CANSLIM candidate. ONR trades on the Toronto exchange and my tools don't have complete access to their information. I can't see earnings history for example. ONR currently trades around $10 and 500K shares per day. At this level of liquidity ~$5M per day ONR trades too thin to be of interest to most institutions. I prefer stocks trading above $40M per day to be squarely in institutional grade territory. I sometimes go down to $20M. Many institutions have rules about not owning stocks that trade under $10, ONR just started to trade above this level. Institutional sponsorship is important to a long-term move in a stock, AAPL comes to mind as an example of a stock that has made a long-term move and has had obvious institutional activity.

mnoel
10-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Thank you very much Mike!