S&P Return -8.59%
Hedged Return -0.09%

Mousetrap Annualized -26.29%
S&P Annualized -39.94%
Hedge Annualized -0.43%

Annualized Advantage 13.65%
Hedged Advantage 39.51%

Slight change of pace…

I had originally planned to write an update once a week and only post during the week if I needed to change a position. The start of a bear market right when I was loading the portfolio complicated everything, including how I reported the numbers. If I had counted the cash positions in the beginning, the numbers would have been this:

Mousetrap Return -5.65%
S&P Return -13.29%
Hedged Return -0.09%

Mousetrap Annualized -26.29%
S&P Annualized -61.82%
Hedge Annualized -0.43%

Annualized Advantage 35.53%
Hedged Advantage 61.39%

Well, that wouldn’t be fair. I was only accidentally in cash most of the time, so such an “advantage” would have just been dumb luck.

Nevertheless, one cash position is genuine, since the hedge eats up my margin and requires the model to only be 90% loaded (90% long, and 90% short on margin).

It’s been four months and the model is now fully loaded. The only need for an update at this point, then, would be a change in either the hedged or the long positions – neither of which will happen that often.

If my guess is correct, a new position should only average once or twice a month. I’ll only update, then, on the weekend, and only during the week if a new position occurs.

As noted on the model, we are in a bear market. What is not shown is the fact that the sector rotations are breaking down, which happens during a strong bear market rally. We’ve been due for that rally to 1250, and it appears that we’ll likely get it this quarter.

The model does NOT try to play rallies or corrections, but only tries to broadly time a bull or a bear market – so it will remain hedged.

Some weeks ago I promised a more complete description of the intermarket analysis I use (which involves interest rate changes and sector rotations), so I plan to use the time I’ve been spending on the daily updates to finally get that paper out.

The only piece of “advice” I’d give here is to not let the market fake you out. This bear is far too volatile for traditional short term trading techniques to work well, and I continue to see traders being stopped out on both the upward and downward “traps” this market continues to make. I don’t know how much of that is pure accident, or how much is HFT manipulation. I suspect it is more of the latter than most of us think. Even the “news” appears timed to fake people out with the bearish news hitting right when we are exhausting a downward move, and the bullish news faking us out on the other side. DO NOT PLAY THE NEWS!!!

On a final note, I now have two “closed” positions, a long position in AWR (-3.64%) with 10% of the portfolio, and a short position in XLE (+9.96%) with 80% of the portfolio, for an average of an 8.45% realized gain during a time that the S&P had a -13.29% loss.

Not too bad, so far. I’m quite pleased with the performance of the model and hope it continues to function this well.

Tim

Montreal
10-09-2011, 02:01 PM
do you use EV or other add-ons for your analysis? I'm new in this forum and I just installed the EV, I dont know its performance but I try to enjoy the experience of memebrs of this forum. Thankyou

Timothy Clontz
10-09-2011, 05:36 PM
EV is a much better model for people to time the general market. This is my own experiment for those who do more long term stock selections.

Interestingly, Pascal tested the sector version of my model and uncovered an incompatibility between the models that makes them work AGAINST each other.

Timothy Clontz
10-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Just a quick note:

The other day I mentioned that the bearish configuration of the sectors was breaking down, as normal in a rally. Yesterday’s action put the sectors back into a bearish pattern. I doubt we’ll make my 1250 target on this swing.

I’ll do a more complete explanation in my sector paper, but I use price momentum, acceleration, and volume-breadth to determine the most likely position in a market cycle:

5 XLY Cyclicals Bottom
6 XLK Technology Bull 1
8 XLI Industrial Bull 2
9 XLB Basic Industry Bull 3
4 XLE Energy Top
2 XLP Staples Bear 1
1 XLV Services Bear 2
3 XLU Utilities Bear 3
7 XLF Finance Bear 4

When the first two positions are adjacent to each other (Bear 2 and 1), that’s strong confirmation. They break apart during bull corrections or bear rallies. When I wrote the other day that the configuration was breaking down, it was because XLU was no longer in the third position and the sector rotation basically had nowhere to go before a break would happen.

After yesterday, that is no longer the case. The first four positions are very strongly correlated here, and I’m doubtful we’ll have a full rally at this point in the cyclical bear. It’s more likely we’ll retest the lows before shooting for 1250 on the S&P.

Yesterday’s strong move is likely a bull trap.

Tim