PDA

View Full Version : End of Quarter - September 30, 2011

Billy
09-30-2011, 06:23 AM

Simulation of new weekly, monthly and quarterly pivots levels for next Monday doesn’t provide any significant floor pressure changes for next week, month and quarter! Is it foreshadowing more of the same choppy consolidation until the end of the year? At least the robot statistics lean currently strongly to the short side and until we have an oversold reading of the 20 DMF that could pave the way to a new buy signal, the edge remains in the hands of short-sellers.

Since the market bottom of March 2009, 8 of the final days of the 10 quarters have been down days. I think it is significant that yesterday’s low for IWM was coinciding with YS1 (64.40), a stable floor level that won’t be changed next week. The same happened for SPY at its Semester S3. I expect this same low to be respected by market makers if today is a down day. The bigger move may start next week after a seasonally bullish biased Monday and once the new floor levels will be fixed and known by all algorithms.

As you know, the GDX robot ST/LT settings are very reliable in backtesting, while multi-pivots guidance is much erratic. Here we have a fantastic strong buy opportunity from the robot statitics, but an awful multi-pivot picture. All important floor supports have been broken this week, including stable ones like the yearly pivot (55.19), Semester pivot (56.61) and the 200-day moving average (58.35). There is no stable floor support left before SS1 (49.08). But the average investor in GDX never cares much about these levels since he is driven by hope, greed and fear, not by risk management.
Billy

adam ali
09-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Billy,

Just for fun and games, the two final days that were up - did they occur in up or down quarters or one of each?

buzzman
09-30-2011, 08:55 AM
I was re-reading documents written by Pascal last night-Trading IWM and IWM/GDX robots Investments in the context of a Portfolio. In his research he checked the outcomes of EOD trading and trading at the open of the next day. Moreover, I see the limit order recommendations on the Robot each morning before the market opens. Are the signals from the Robot updated during the day, or what buy/sell numbers are suggested for EOD trading? So far, I have been just entering the limit recommendations before the open each day and hoping that the order gets placed. I think I'm probably missing something. Can someone help me out.
Thanks,
Buzz

Pascal
09-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I was re-reading documents written by Pascal last night-Trading IWM and IWM/GDX robots Investments in the context of a Portfolio. In his research he checked the outcomes of EOD trading and trading at the open of the next day. Moreover, I see the limit order recommendations on the Robot each morning before the market opens. Are the signals from the Robot updated during the day, or what buy/sell numbers are suggested for EOD trading? So far, I have been just entering the limit recommendations before the open each day and hoping that the order gets placed. I think I'm probably missing something. Can someone help me out.
Thanks,
Buzz

You are right: the IWM Robot works on limit orders. The signals are available before market opens and are not updated during the day. What you are doing is correct and you then are probably running a short IWM position by now.

Pascal

buzzman
09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Thank you. bz

buzzman
09-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Oftentimes the limit entry from the Robot is never hit on the day following. Today TZA is a good example, the limit setting was for 47.35 and TZA never dropped to that level. How is this situation handled by the Robot (in backtesting) and more importantly by experienced traders? Appreciate the help. bz

Pascal
10-01-2011, 12:50 AM
Oftentimes the limit entry from the Robot is never hit on the day following. Today TZA is a good example, the limit setting was for 47.35 and TZA never dropped to that level. How is this situation handled by the Robot (in backtesting) and more importantly by experienced traders? Appreciate the help. bz

The robot enters as soon as a the first limit order is hit and stays in the trade. Today's TZA buy limit was a secondary order, but the robot has already entered its position (Short IWM) a few days ago and hence does not enter a second position. Therefore, in back-tests, we only consider the first position.

Pascal