PDA

View Full Version : Volatility

manucastle
09-01-2011, 11:02 AM
The volatility is tremendous this morning but the $TIKUSC $TICK and $TIKRL are all down through the 195 level so at least this is straightforward !

Trev

grems8544
09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Agreed. I'm long with a trial balloon in QID since $TIKND is having such a hard time moving up. I do note that it is staying level with the 0 line, so it appears that the algos that impact stocks on the NDX-100 are switched off.

I've not found a good place to enter TWM or TZA despite the $TIKRL and the cumulative tick clearly favoring the bears.

Regards,

pgd

nickola.pazderic
09-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I have the answer to volatility and HFT: don't watch the screen!

Once again I can naively report that my grandpa account at Vanguard is completely out performing Thinkorswim and all its pyrotechnics.

Entry points on TZA? Without lights blinking, I just enter the order and quietly and calmly it is filled.

But the question about sample size remains. I wish I could backtest this, but like many things in life I/we are out there alone at the point of making an order...

manucastle
09-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I have the answer to volatility and HFT: don't watch the screen!

Once again I can naively report that my grandpa account at Vanguard is completely out performing Thinkorswim and all its pyrotechnics.

Entry points on TZA? Without lights blinking, I just enter the order and quietly and calmly it is filled.

But the question about sample size remains. I wish I could backtest this, but like many things in life I/we are out there alone at the point of making an order...

I/we are out there alone at the point of making an order ---- and without the support of The Robot yet !!!!

Trev

grems8544
09-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I've not found a good place to enter TWM or TZA despite the $TIKRL and the cumulative tick clearly favoring the bears.

I grabbed 100sh near the VWAP on TWM, so off to the races we go. It turned right at the VWAP and bounced up, so I couldn't resist. :)

Regards,

pgd

grems8544
09-01-2011, 08:40 PM

Sample size of what ...?

What exactly would you like to backtest?

Regards,

pgd