PDA

View Full Version : Is It Really The Start of Something New? July 20, 2011

Billy
07-20-2011, 06:03 AM

The thriller movie is progressing into the bear trap scenario which unfortunately shook the IWM robot out of its long position on Monday’s lows. It’s part of the risk-management game. After missing the best rally day of 2011, the robot is once again looking to enter a new long position at $ 83.06, which was also the exact most frequent limit entry price recently. What’s encouraging is that the 20 DMF refused to turn short after still being one hair away from a sell signal around noon yesterday, and the first serious buy programs in a week finally triggered around 1:30 pm as detected by the cumulative $TICK.

As far as today’s setup is concerned, IWM is simply back in the trading range that held from Monday till Thursday of last week, above the strongest of all support clusters. The fact that it escaped a nasty selloff under the support cluster and bounced back fast and strong yesterday can suggest the resuming of the uptrend as bears and short sellers have been painfully shaken out and disgusted for a while. Just like last week, the easy target is YR1 (85.68).

QQQ is the leading ETF and is already trading above its own YR1 (59.02) pre-market. The easy floor progression is over as it is entering an extremely strong resistance cluster with strength of 27. The ability of QQQ to progress by small leaps and bounces above SR1 and QR1 (59.72) without a serious pullback over the next few hours and days will tell us a lot about the true potential sustainability of the rally for the overall market.

GDX is looking poised to test its first support cluster before a new assault at the SR1 and QR1 (62.12) levels. Ideally, it should allow new entries at 58.92 and quickly regain its 5-day moving average (59.74 and rising) for an easy continuation of the rally.
Billy

ilonaross
07-20-2011, 06:28 AM
Billy,

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate these daily comments, charts and xcel file.

Tnx

Ilona.

manucastle
07-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Billy,

Thanks for your excellent work.

Sorry if I have missed it before but where do I find your Cumalative Tick graph on Stockcharts ?

Trev

The thriller movie is progressing into the bear trap scenario which unfortunately shook the IWM robot out of its long position on Monday’s lows. It’s part of the risk-management game. After missing the best rally day of 2011, the robot is once again looking to enter a new long position at $ 83.06, which was also the exact most frequent limit entry price recently. What’s encouraging is that the 20 DMF refused to turn short after still being one hair away from a sell signal around noon yesterday, and the first serious buy programs in a week finally triggered around 1:30 pm as detected by the cumulative $TICK.

As far as today’s setup is concerned, IWM is simply back in the trading range that held from Monday till Thursday of last week, above the strongest of all support clusters. The fact that it escaped a nasty selloff under the support cluster and bounced back fast and strong yesterday can suggest the resuming of the uptrend as bears and short sellers have been painfully shaken out and disgusted for a while. Just like last week, the easy target is YR1 (85.68).

QQQ is the leading ETF and is already trading above its own YR1 (59.02) pre-market. The easy floor progression is over as it is entering an extremely strong resistance cluster with strength of 27. The ability of QQQ to progress by small leaps and bounces above SR1 and QR1 (59.72) without a serious pullback over the next few hours and days will tell us a lot about the true potential sustainability of the rally for the overall market.

GDX is looking poised to test its first support cluster before a new assault at the SR1 and QR1 (62.12) levels. Ideally, it should allow new entries at 58.92 and quickly regain its 5-day moving average (59.74 and rising) for an easy continuation of the rally.
Billy

Pierre Brodeur
07-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Billy,

Thanks for your excellent work.

Sorry if I have missed it before but where do I find your Cumalative Tick graph on Stockcharts ?

Trev

You have to create your own

Pierre Brodeur
07-20-2011, 07:35 AM
-1- We always hear from technical analyst that previous support now becomes resistance. Why does cluster analysis ignore this "concept"?
-2- Does Ichimoku supplement S/R analysis in any way then?
-3- Finally, IWM is trading just below the Senkou Span A ( the bottom of the 60 minutes bearish cloud) which should act as resistance. For months now, you have no longer presented Ichimoku short term analysis. Is this by design because it no longer part of your investment process? I for one use them for risk and E(r) analysis and would be quite interested from time to time to get your view on this as far as IWM is concerned.

Pierre Brodeur

manucastle
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
You have to create your own

Do you need a subscription to Stockcharts ?

Trev

ilonaross
07-20-2011, 08:48 AM
free stockcharts wouldn't give me the option. then i tried on tos. after a few minutes of that, i knew that if i didn't stop either i or the computer was going to go flying out the window. if someone would post 1) how much it costs on stockcharts 2) an easy process for altering the y axis measurements 3) how to get the mountains etc.... and this for any platform that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... i would be most grateful.

EB
07-20-2011, 09:24 AM
For anyone who's interested, these are the settings for the out of the can "Custom 4 Lines" indicator in TradeStation that will replicate Billy's settings.

manucastle
07-20-2011, 09:26 AM
For anyone who's interested, these are the settings for the out of the can "Custom 4 Lines" indicator in TradeStation that will replicate Billy's settings.

Thanks very much EB .

Trev

Billy
07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
I have made a linkable version of a 3-day chart. Just change the number of days manually and "update" for other periods.
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$TICK&p=1&yr=0&mn=0&dy=3&id=p91815521896&a=180203587

I think you need to be a real-time subscriber ($34.90/month, but big discounts for yearly).

Billy

Rembert
07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
I have made a linkable version of a 3-day chart. Just change the number of days manually and "update" for other periods.
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$TICK&p=1&yr=0&mn=0&dy=3&id=p91815521896&a=180203587

I think you need to be a real-time subscriber ($34.90/month, but big discounts for yearly).

Billy

I'm a regular subscriber (no realtime). I can see your chart just fine.

nickola.pazderic
07-20-2011, 11:14 AM
try: $TICK

Billy
07-20-2011, 11:42 AM
-1- We always hear from technical analyst that previous support now becomes resistance. Why does cluster analysis ignore this "concept"?
-2- Does Ichimoku supplement S/R analysis in any way then?
-3- Finally, IWM is trading just below the Senkou Span A ( the bottom of the 60 minutes bearish cloud) which should act as resistance. For months now, you have no longer presented Ichimoku short term analysis. Is this by design because it no longer part of your investment process? I for one use them for risk and E(r) analysis and would be quite interested from time to time to get your view on this as far as IWM is concerned.

Pierre Brodeur

Bonjour Pierre,

-1- Cluster and pivot analysis is not different from other technical analysis. Previous support becomes resistance and inversely. Only interpretation is easier with multi-pivots, since for each timeframe you can make the distinction between equilibrium S/R at pivot levels and intermediate consolidations in a trend at the various S123 and R123’s.

-2- Ichimoku analysis is better for discretionary trading and for making real-time decisions intraday. It can complement S/R analysis but is hard to quantify. We know the optimal timeframe is the 60 minute with Ichimoku, while the multi-pivots weighings start on the daily timeframe, 6.5 times longer.

-3- I still do my ichimoku daily routine analysis and know very well what you are talking about with the Senkou Span A. But remember that this forum is for discussing the robot signals and Ichimoku is no part of them, neither as Fibonacci or MIDAS for example.

Knowing where the Ichimoku clouds and spans are is certainly impacting my commentary. I will try to make some Ichimoku updates in the VIT main forum when I find the time. It must encompass all timeframes and compare all main indices to be useful. While it takes me only 5 minutes in my daily routine, posting clearly and concisely about it to a mostly novice public would probably require me 2 hours of work. Also such posts usually spur tons of questions and I must sacrifice more of my rare and precious leisure time.
Again, Ichimoku is mostly helpful for discretionary trading decisions and therefore cumbersome for robot traders.
Billy

Pierre Brodeur
07-20-2011, 12:13 PM
. Also such posts usually spur tons of questions and I must sacrifice more of my rare and precious leisure time.

... and I thought that with the robots, you NOW had plenty more of leisure time [lol]

Thanks for the answer

A bientot

Pierre Brodeur

manucastle
07-20-2011, 01:09 PM

EB,

I have this up and running and it is VERY useful.

Also useful is using this with $TIKRL which is the Russell 2000 Tick index which is possibly very useful for IWM.

Trev

ilonaross
07-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi.

The problem's not with getting $TICK. The problem was getting identical settings. Thanks anyway, though. I'm going to sign up for Stockcharts or Tradestation, and if I ever figure out how to get the settings on ToS I'll post it.

Thanks to all who posted instructions.

davidallison@gmail.com
07-20-2011, 02:01 PM
I guess $TIKRL, is not available on stockcharts.com, which is unfortunate. I only see $TICK and $TICKQ. Perhaps I will ask stockcharts.com if they will add the symbol. Dave

Billy
07-20-2011, 02:08 PM
I guess $TIKRL, is not available on stockcharts.com, which is unfortunate. I only see $TICK and $TICKQ. Perhaps I will ask stockcharts.com if they will add the symbol. Dave

Excellent initiative, Dave. I propose that all interested do the same; a massive demand has much more impact!
Billy

nickola.pazderic
07-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Hi.

The problem's not with getting $TICK. The problem was getting identical settings. Thanks anyway, though. I'm going to sign up for Stockcharts or Tradestation, and if I ever figure out how to get the settings on ToS I'll post it.

Thanks to all who posted instructions.

Perhaps I'm in the same boat: playing catch up with indicators and terminology. Let me know what you might find.

Thanks...

davidallison@gmail.com
07-20-2011, 02:45 PM
If all subscribers to stockcharts.com and those interested would kindly go to
http://stockcharts.com/help/doku.php?id=support:feedback:symbol_request
Please ask them to add the tick chart for the Russell 2000, symbol $TIKRL.
I believe this would be very helpful to our IWM robot community.
Thanks, Dave

ernsttanaka
07-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Here is my Cumtick code for TOS.

Use symbol $tick and uncheck "Show Price Subgraph"

See attachment for settings and for screen capture of an example.

declare lower;
rec ct = ct[1]+close;
plot cum = ct;
plot cum600 = average(cum,600);
plot cum390 = average(cum,390);
plot cum195 = average(cum,195);
cum600.setDefaultColor(color.red);;
cum390.setDefaultColor(color.orange);
cum195.setdefaultColor(color.green);

asomani
07-22-2011, 06:43 AM
If all subscribers to stockcharts.com and those interested would kindly go to
http://stockcharts.com/help/doku.php?id=support:feedback:symbol_request
Please ask them to add the tick chart for the Russell 2000, symbol $TIKRL.
I believe this would be very helpful to our IWM robot community.
Thanks, Dave

Thank you, Dave. I noticed one does not need to be a sub to make the request...I've sent in my request for same. Hopefully, they will listen to us.

And, Ernst, thank you for kindly sharing the code. Helpful for those of us using TOS software.

roberto.giusto
07-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Here is my Cumtick code for TOS.

Ernst,

thank you, this is really helpful.

Also, thanks a lot for the very interesting thread on your bread and butter trade.

Roberto

ilonaross
07-22-2011, 07:50 AM
1. tnx, ernst.

2. i asked for $TIKRL.

EB
07-22-2011, 01:40 PM
FWIW, the first two subgraphs compare NYSE Tick and R2K Tick. They look very similar in terms of the raw data, but the cume Ticks do differ. The third subgraph is S&P 500 Tick.

davidallison@gmail.com
07-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Stockcharts answer regarding the R2K Tick,

Cole Johnson, Jul-23 23:03 (PDT):
Dear David,
Thanks for sending me that additional information. I see where the confusion has occurred. The term "Tick chart" has a more common meaning that is different from the way you are using it.
While $TICK and $TICKQ can be called "Tick" charts because of their names, they are not "tick charts" in the traditional sense of that phrase. A "tick chart" is a very short-term chart where the horizontal axis represents each trade that happened while the market was open.
http://daytrading.about.com/od/daytradingglossary/g/TickCharts.htm
$TICK and $TICKQ are _market_indexes_ that show the number of stocks that are increasing ("ticking up") minus the number of stocks that are decreasing ("ticking down"). $TICK is calculated and published by the NYSE. $TICKQ is calculated and published by the Nasdaq.
We do not have access to data for the Russell 2000 version of $TICK. I see that TIKRL appears to only be provided by TradeStation because it appears to be a proprietary calculation that they do themselves. We do not have ability and must rely on data provided by our data vendor.
Thanks again for using StockCharts.com,

Cole Johnson
StockCharts Support
http://stockcharts.com