PDA

View Full Version : General Questions

buzzman
06-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Don't know where to ask these general, orientational questions, so maybe someone would be kind enough to give me a little direction.

Questions for example: The difference between Leading Stocks and Best Rated Stocks. Moreover, what is the total stock rating and why aren't leading stocks top rated?

I have looked all over the forum and in the book but I can't find answers to these simple questions. I'm sorry but I need to ask for help from somebody. Any feedback would be much appreciated. You can simply point me in the right direction, albeit, something a little better that somewhere in the archives of this site.

grems8544
06-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Good evening Buzzman,

You're probably not going to like my answer, but the definition of "Leaders" vs. "Best Rated Stocks" is subjective. Jerry Samet, who posts in the CANSLIM forum, regularly posts his leader's index, as viewed with a program called HGSI (http://www.highgrowthstock.com/). Jerry's selection of those leader stocks is proprietary, but they are quality stocks as measured on a number of metrics. I don't know this for sure (Jerry, step in here), but I don't think Jerry updates his list on a steady cycle.

Within the HGSI package there is a "Leaders Index". Every night the list gets updated, representing the other extreme of updating. Time frames for quantifying are very different in these two examples, and time frames are important in the overall consideration of Leader performance.

An example of "Best Rated Stocks" is simply the IBD50. What makes these the "best rated?". Look no further than the CANSLIM acronym, which historically has been a good, consistent method at identifying candidates.

I think it is more important to start looking at sales and earnings, which drive revenues and profits. An underlying theme of "quality" or "leader" or "best rated" is that they all have growing sales/earnings. From here, there are as many definitions as there are opinions on the terms....

Regards,

pgd

Pascal
06-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Don't know where to ask these general, orientational questions, so maybe someone would be kind enough to give me a little direction.

Questions for example: The difference between Leading Stocks and Best Rated Stocks. Moreover, what is the total stock rating and why aren't leading stocks top rated?

I have looked all over the forum and in the book but I can't find answers to these simple questions. I'm sorry but I need to ask for help from somebody. Any feedback would be much appreciated. You can simply point me in the right direction, albeit, something a little better that somewhere in the archives of this site.

As paul wrote it, leading stocks are often selected on EPS/Sales growth criteria, while bext ratings are evaluated on technical grounds only. If you closely look at the leading stock figure, you will see that the title states "strong fundamentals" stocks.

This list was originally built about one year ago with the help of Mike and others. They included such leaders as FUQI, LFT, RINO, UTA, which have moved in the graveyard of scams. At some point, I believe that I will remove this section.

By the way, do not forget to read the FAQ file that is in the filters section. This gives extra explanation on how to find information on the web site.

Pascal

buzzman
06-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Thank you very much. I am very aware of the IBD RATINGS just didn't know that those two items were not on the site were not EV generated.

Pascal, there is no FAQ in the filters file on my computer. However, there are links to stock lists (4) and a link to a document that has some instructions on how to trade using EV. Is that what you are referring to? thx, bz

Pascal
06-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Thank you very much. I am very aware of the IBD RATINGS just didn't know that those two items were not on the site were not EV generated.

Pascal, there is no FAQ in the filters file on my computer. However, there are links to stock lists (4) and a link to a document that has some instructions on how to trade using EV. Is that what you are referring to? thx, bz

Here:

buzzman
06-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Not trying to be difficult, but that Link (in red with the green arrow) is simply not on my screen under EV Filters. Nor can I find it anywhere else. Moreover, the last item on my EV Filters screen is "An explanation about how to trade......." ??

buzzman
06-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Nevermind. I found it on the Forum, under the home or robot tabs. I'm good to go. bz

Jerry Samet
06-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi everyone. My leaders index is put together at the start of an intermediate rally and generally isn't changed until that rally is over. When we have a correction and start a new rally I start a new index. It consists of 20 to 25 stocks in at least 12 to 15 industry groups with no more than 2 stocks from any one group. I run several screens in Marketsmith and HGSI to come up with the list and then post the names with a new list. The IBD 50 is IBD's group of leading stocks and it changes every week. I think mine is easier to follow and the performance can be easily duplicated. Jerry

buzzman
07-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Is there a way during "sign in" for the password to be remembered? When I sign in I don't see a pop-up for remembering the password. Moreover, it seems that each time I leave the site for a short time, I have to sign in again. Is that the way it is designed or am I missing something? I'm referring to the EV site, not the forum.
thx, bz

Pascal
07-11-2011, 03:22 PM
The site would keep you connected for 8 hours in a row, if I remember well.
The password issue is either a browser or a firewall issue at your site.

If you have a technical question, please raise it with the tehc team, using the "contact us" at teh bottom of the page.

Pascal