PDA

View Full Version : Mistaken Stops on IWM and XLU

Timothy Clontz
06-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I misread the stop positions for a NEW position instead of for an EXISTING position.

As such I got stopped out of IWM, and manually exited XLU immediately after.

Although I did this by mistake, I made the same mistake in both ETFs so this is a somewhat valid beginning to my test.

First trade, then (albeit imperfectly exited):

IWM entered 78.39, exited 78.23
XLU entered 33.09, exited 32.86

IWM gain/loss -.20%
XLU gain/loss -.70%

I'll try to follow the robot more acurately next time.

Timothy Clontz
06-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Both XLU and IWM closed below the point I inaccurately sold them yesterday.

I'll re-enter both trades at or below the point I exited them yesterday and (for purposes of the test) pretend that the exit never happened.

The point of the test is to have two running trades in which the first one follows the Robot entry and exit points for IWM EXACTLY and the other follows the general time of the trade but selects one of nine heavily traded sector ETFs instead of pivot points.

If it becomes apparent that there is positive synergy between the Robot's generic timing and my sector selections, I'll lobby Billy to see if we can test individual pivot points on my sector selections to see if we can do even better.

Right now I'm just a real time guinea pig.

happy
06-16-2011, 09:29 AM
If it becomes apparent that there is positive synergy between the Robot's generic timing and my sector selections, I'll lobby Billy to see if we can test individual pivot points on my sector selections to see if we can do even better.

Tim, I would be happy to run some tests for you. I can throw a number of years of data into a database and get some results for us pretty quickly if you'd like. happy to help ...

Timothy Clontz
06-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Happy,

Thanks for the offer. I've already done backtests, but real time is the only real proof.

This is my Beta test ;-)

Tim

nickola.pazderic
06-16-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm happily tracking your progress. Thanks very much for the pioneering efforts,

Timothy Clontz
06-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Staying long XLU while IWM is long.